Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 4x10 how does it work and what do I need

Re: 4x10 how does it work and what do I need

Got my 4x10 back to my Chamonix 45H--1 a month back or so.
    So I'm just started on that format. 4x5 was my largest before.

So why did I not go to 8x10, as some suggest. It's indeed more flexible in many ways... but...

- 8x10 would mean I had to invest in new drums or trays and space for development. With 4x10 I can use my current drum with only a small adjustment to my sheet film holder.
    - 8x10 would mean a new scanner, probably a Epson flatbed instead of my current Imacon Flextight with a 4x10 holder. A flatbed would not produce on par with the flextight on 4x10 in my opinion (And please, let us not get into a scanner debate here )
    - A good 8x10 camera would cost at least the double compare with the Chamonix 4x10 back (as I already have the 45H--1).
    - It's still portable, and fits in my regular 4x5 backpack.

So it all depends, just making a case for 4x10.

In my case a 6x17 back on a 4x5 or 5x7 would have been an option. Shooting on rollfilm is very convenient sometimes. But 6x17 has always felt a bit too wide for me. 4x10 is more balanced as a format I think.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMarq View Post
    After seeing all those beautifull images of the 4x10 size I’m getting more and more interested to use this...Patrick
    I have seen a couple nice old 5x12 cameras...just saying... I bought some 5x12 film for a friend on an Ilford special order.

I already had the 8x10 and associated developing set-up, so I went with the modified darkslide for two 4x10s on an 8x10 sheet. And I now do the same for 5.5x14s with the 11x14 camera.

Making 4x10s, I seem to default to the FujiW 250mm rather than my 300mm. According to the list below, I should be able to use my FujiW 180mm also, but that is on a lensboard for the 5x7 right now...an interesting idea.

Have fun!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMarq View Post

I have 3 lenses: 90mm, 150mm and 300mm are the still good ?

Patrick
    The answer is no and it depends. Without knowing what your lenses are:

There are no 90mm that cover 4x10 as far as I know.
    And if it's a common 150mm it's probably not covering either. There are 150mm that cover but they are often expensive and large and usually not what you are using on 4x5.
    Most 300mm would cover 4x10.

There is an old post here on the forum with a very convenient list (extensive but not complete as it only goes to 210mm, but then longer lenses often cover)

List of lenses covering 4x10

Quote Originally Posted by lassethomas View Post
    There are no 90mm that cover 4x10 as far as I know.
    90mm Super-Angulon XL, stopped down, just barely. Long ago, Keith Canham built a handful of 4x10 box cameras around the 90 SA XL in a helical focus mount. Most users will want the center filter.

Is it really that much of a waste of money to just crop 8x10? The enlarger is the same, the film holders more expensive, the lenses are the same, the camera just as expensive. Plus cropping 8x10 give the flexibility to do 4 1/8" x 10 also (baby 7x17).

Ive always liked that format. My go to lenses for wide angle are a 120 Nikkor SW and sometimes a Fujinon 180 W. Normal for me in that format is about a Fujinon 240A. The Chamonix camera I use is an N3 and it packs down to a lightweight package that is easily backpack-able with a couple of film holders. With the price of 8x10 color transparency film lately, getting two shots for the price of a single sheet makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    Patrick, I use a Chamonix 410N3 with Chamonix film holders and like it a lot. It's actually played a large role in keeping my sanity, such as it is, through Covid. The lenses you currently have will not cover the 4x10 format with the possible exception of the 300mm. Which one do you own? I use a 110mm Super Symmar, which absolutely needed a center filter on 4x10, a 210 Apo Sironar-S, and a 300mm Docter Optics Apo Germinar.
    Richard, For me also and still going out with a large format camera helps in these days.
    I’m are working from home now more then one year, and my hobby space is turned into a work office what is not good, so if the weather allows it I’m out every weekend for a few hours.

My lenses:
    Nikkor M 300mm
    Rodenstock Sinnar-N 150mm
    Sneijder Super-Angulon 90mm

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    I like the panorama format for many subjects as well, but I wouldn't want to be limited to it.

So, how about 8x10 and just crop when you want that panorama? Then you could make an 8x10 print too, and anything in between.

Would it really be more economical to get a dedicated 4x10 camera and cut down 8x10 film? Are you really sure you want to limit yourself to that format?

Personally, I'd want the flexibility, but many see format constraints as a creative advantage.

Best,

Doremus
    Doremus,
    My dream was/is always to ‘envolve’ from 4x5 to 8x10. It would bring an extra cost. And as I only make alternative contact prints 8x1O would be perfect for me.
    But the weight of the whole setup I’m afraid. Now I’m carrying about 10kg and that’s more than enough for several hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Not to dissuade you in any way
    I decided 6X17 roll film and gear was so affordable
    and I can optically enlarge
    I took the other path
    Yes, this is an option that I have exploited also, but the whole digital part is getting me frustrated.
    Before falling into the scanner discussing trap, I’m not satisfied with the digital Epson stuff. And finding a good drum scan close to home and not to expensive is just impossible here.

Buy an 8x10 and use half frames if on a budget. Film is readily available and lenses are not too difficult to find. Swapping backs will be cumbersome in the field. A 4x10 dedicated camera will be a bit more costly, requiring special holders and special order or cut film.
    Print some of your images at 4x10 and see if you really like the format. It felt a bit small to me.

If you want a dedicated pano format, 5x12 is a little bigger visually than 4x10 yet still somewhat compact when folded compared to 7x17 and can use most 8x10 lenses. Chamonix made 3 of them last year as part of a special order so contact Hugo if you want to step up.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography