Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rollei Infrared 400

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Rollei Infrared 400

Quote Originally Posted by John Olsen View Post
    I use the Cokin X-Pro series filter. It's listed as a X007 equivalent to an 89B Wratten. It comes either as a 170x130mm rectangle or 120mm circle. Either way it slides into a Cokin X-series holder. The trick is to make an adapter to fit the Cokin X-holder to your lens. I make my adaptors out of various diameter PVC drain pipe sections. That way I can use the same filter on my 40mm Distagon and my 360mm Rodenstock.
    For smaller lens Cokin's P-series holder has threaded inserts for popular thread sizes. Then the filter is listed as a P-007.
    The Cokins aren't actually as restrictive as an 89B. I figure my Rollei film to be 6 ISO with the 007, whereas it seems more like 3 ISO with an actual 89B Wratten.
    I use the Cokin rectangular 100mm 007 filter with the Cokin Z-Pro holder with a 95mm filter ring and several step-up/down rings from 49mm to fit all of my 35, MF, and LF lenses. It's been a while since I last shot IR but IIRC 3 ISO was the exposure setting.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    One more question, it's been a long time since I've shot IR film: is re-focusing still a thing with this film?
    Unlike Kodak HIE, this is not an issue with the Rollei film. Focus as normal and you're done.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Unlike Kodak HIE, this is not an issue with the Rollei film. Focus as normal and you're done.
    Sweet! Thanks, Paul.

a bit confused here about the ISO setting to use with the Cokin P007 filter, as almost all I've read says ISO 25 with this film.
    I am ok with bracketing on roll film, but would like a starting point more in the ballpark

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Gazzoni View Post
    a bit confused here about the ISO setting to use with the Cokin P007 filter, as almost all I've read says ISO 25 with this film.
    I am ok with bracketing on roll film, but would like a starting point more in the ballpark
    Shooting it on 35mm (Kodak Retina IIIC) I did a roll with every shot at both 25 and 12, with a no-name Chinese R720 filter. Both seemed reasonably dense, but I found the 12 overall closter to where I like it. I haven't tried it at lower EI or on 4x5 though. The camera was recently CLA'd so I have every reason to expect the shutter speed was moderately accurate.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Back when I was shooting IR the consensus was that the filter required 10 stops - that would put Rollei 400IR at ISO 3. But ISO 6 sounds familiar. What I would recommend is taking 4 test shots in the same light at ISO's 3, 6, 12, and 25 and see which one gives the result you are looking for.

Thomas

Some online research, and my own crude test, indicates that the filter takes about 6-6.5 stops off the reading.
    So it is with my filter. Other 720nm filters may block more or less. It's a wild world out there.

John Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Gazzoni View Post
    Well, it depends a lot on exactly which filter you use and the environment in which you shoot. Also, some of us have different metering habits. Try a test roll with bracketing and then you will know what setting work for your exposure and development process. BTW, I'm using HC-110 "B" for my work. ISO 25 seems pretty unlikely, though.

Hoya R72 seems to be about 6 stops from my testing.

Using the new filter on expired (2007) Maco IR820c film while I wait for the Rollei film to arrive.