Thread: Rollei Infrared 400

Re: Rollei Infrared 400

Thanks, JayJay.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Gorgeous shot, Paul.
    Thank you.

I found an unopened box of 4x5 Maco IR820c in my fridge, plus one roll of 120. We'll see if that film is still any good.
    I also bought the Eco-Pro developer, which is apparently re-packaged XTOL with a Vitamin C shot, so looking forward to some IR fun in the next few weeks.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...id_Powder.html

Andrej Gregov

I've been using Eco Pro XTOL given all the quality issues with Kodak branded XTOL as of late and it's been working great for me. Very repeated results in the Jobo. With respect to the 4x5 sheet film, it comes on a very thin substrate film. Compared to say Kodak TRX it feels like paper. But I think you get used to working with it. Probably needs a glass negative carrier for reliable printing. The roll film can be a bit on the curly side after development. Roll film is super for bracketing while figuring out your asa.

My 720 is a GreenL also. I don't have complaints with these filters either; they're of optical glass and seem very well made all round. I have IR, circ Pol and close-ups all in this brand.

Yes Ari, the Rollei IR film doesn't seem to have much response at 760nm. For the modest cost of the 49mm filter it wasn't an expensive lesson for me to learn, but I suspect the 95mm size would be a lot dearer.

Quote Originally Posted by JayJayOkocha View Post
    I used a 720nm GreenL Filter that I bought when in China. No complaints here

Attachment 215792

Thanks, Barry. I had a lot of trouble finding an affordable 95mm filter for 720nm.
    There was a cheap ICE filter for 760nm. There were a few expensive 720 options from Hoya and others.
    I finally bit the bullet and bought a semi-affordable filter from Urth, another new company, this one is based in Australia: https://urth.co/products/infrared-fi...35380260667543
    I don't know about the filter yet, but customer service was top-notch, just what you'd want and more than you'd expect.

John Olsen

I use the Cokin X-Pro series filter. It's listed as a X007 equivalent to an 89B Wratten. It comes either as a 170x130mm rectangle or 120mm circle. Either way it slides into a Cokin X-series holder. The trick is to make an adapter to fit the Cokin X-holder to your lens. I make my adaptors out of various diameter PVC drain pipe sections. That way I can use the same filter on my 40mm Distagon and my 360mm Rodenstock.
    For smaller lens Cokin's P-series holder has threaded inserts for popular thread sizes. Then the filter is listed as a P-007.
    The Cokins aren't actually as restrictive as an 89B. I figure my Rollei film to be 6 ISO with the 007, whereas it seems more like 3 ISO with an actual 89B Wratten.

Thanks, John. Seems like ASA 3 or 6 is the way to go with the R72 filter.
    I looked into both the Cokin X and Haida 100 systems, but neither were 100% complete or dummy-proof.
    The 95mm filter will fit all my lenses with the help of step-up rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Thanks, John. Seems like ASA 3 or 6 is the way to go with the R72 filter.
    I looked into both the Cokin X and Haida 100 systems, but neither were 100% complete or dummy-proof.
    The 95mm filter will fit all my lenses with the help of step-up rings.
    80% of my shots (about 100 last year) were shot at ASA 3, about 15% between ASA 3 and 6 and the rest at 6.
    Also pretty much all of them with IR720, IR760 did not work for me.

Thanks for confirming, JayJay.
    One more question, it's been a long time since I've shot IR film: is re-focusing still a thing with this film?
    I mean, once you've focused properly, do you then have to re-adjust and focus a bit closer to compensate for the IR wavelengths?
    How much do you re-focus on a camera with no red dot on the lens, like a 4x5?
    Last edited by Ari; 15-May-2021 at 07:53.