Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Rollei Infrared 400

Re: Rollei Infrared 400

I found that an EI of 3 with the R72, gives me decent shadows. Pyrocat-HD, Xtol-R.

Thanks, Andrew. I forget to pay closer attention to that.
    I set the camera ASA to 320, and let it do its job of TTL metering with the filter attached.
    That must put me somewhere around 30ASA, which is too high to get shadow detail.
    Will shoot and process again.

Is Pyrocat usually this grainy? I can't do stand development, so I guess it'll be grainy for me.

Exposing this film at 20 ASA or higher, you're not getting the best this film has to offer. In my experience, only negatives exposed at 3 to 6 ASA are worth using.

Agreed, Paul. I'll be more mindful of ASA setting on camera.

Experimented with Sandy King’s compensated approach of two-part development using Pyrocat HD with some 120 Konika IR. Worked very well containing all the information/constraining all the information, however, was a very steep contrast curve compared to Stephen Sherman’s beautiful UMA.

Here’s a proof sheet of some Konika IR from a trip to West Virginia using the same processing technique. As the film was 14 years old, you’ll see the bracketing that I had to use even though my speed testing placed it ASA 8 using an R 72 filter. Even in what appears to be significantly over exposed, all the information is there, and can be “printed through“.
    This is a “flat”/raw scan to show the good, bad and the ugly for illustration purposes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	216585

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first roll with IR400, I developed it in Pyrocat. Just made a guess that it would be close to the same time for TMX and I think it came out alright. However, conditions weren't great for any kind of pronounced sky effect.

Century Graphic 2x3, Schneider 38mm f/5.6 XL w/ R72 filter, Rollei IR400 exposed for 15 minutes, dev'd in Pyrocat 1:1:100 for 11 minutes @ 75F

In contrast, up here in GA the clouds have been great when I've been driving around to/from work and such, but never when I actually have time to photograph...

And now it's raining again.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

It's a very pretty shot, nonetheless, Bryan. The details are superb. I can distinguish individual piers almost to the very end.
    I've been developing the IR400 in Pyro as well, but using a 3:6:200 dilution at 75F in a rotary tank.

Thanks Ari. Interesting dilution! I don't do rotary for roll films but perhaps I will remember that for future 4x5 images. What's your time for that?

My times vary, Bryan. I've had slightly different results, though equally satisfying, at 8 minutes and 9 minutes using that dilution.
    IIRC, 8 minutes worked well with the IR72 filter while 9 minutes was better for the #29 Red filter.
    The dilution gives a harder look, lots more contrast and, I think, maximizes the IR effect.
    Your beautiful shot is notable for its softness and detail. The 3:6:200 dilution won't give much of either
    But overall, I do like the look of Pyro with all of the Rollei films.

Gotcha! I'm interested to shoot another roll of this in better conditions, with the big puffy storm clouds I was hoping for in Florida.

Another thing of note - I bracketed a couple shots of this scene and like some other IR film I've used with an R72 filter, it doesn't seem to matter if I overexpose it by a lot. A shot at 4 minutes looks about identical in density to this 15 minute shot. I metered at an EI of 6 for the 4 minute shot.