Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Rollei Infrared 400

Re: Rollei Infrared 400

I just started using Rollei IR 400 in my Rolleiflex 2.8C. I am using a Hoya R72. I have a Kodak Wratten 87C I should try. I photographed at ISO 25 and 12, 12 was the best, though I was processing for ISO 25, Kodak TMax Developer at 10 minutes 70 degrees. The results were a little contrasty so I'll cut back the time next roll. Works for this image f5.6 1/50 of a second on the Rolleiflex. Just a New Hampshire dirt road early spring. Yes it isn't HIE.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	River Road ealy spring.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	216259

It looks great, Tom, a more subtle effect than what I aim for.
    I processed some film yesterday after finishing a roll of 35mm Rollei (first 10 shots): https://www.flickr.com/gp/zsari/7F293Z

Here's one of the better ones:

The camera and lens worked quite well while I had the IR72 filter in place, but ultimately an SLR is not the best solution if you need to work quickly and accurately with a filter attached.
    AF and AE were fine, no issues.

I use something like this: https://www.amazon.com/TOPTOO-Adapte.../dp/B088FV7KJL

Mine's by UURig, who may have discontinued it, but it's nice to use to flip the filter out of position and back. I can even mount my cokin-style filter holder on it, and flip that out of the way for composition. But, as I said before, gotta remember to put the filter back in place.

Nice! I like that, and would have got it had I known.
    Having too much fun with IR, I got a Haida drop-in filter, the M10 system.
    I sold my SLR and plan to buy a rangefinder from a friend, a battered Contax G1 on its last legs. It'll be interesting!

Same day clouds and sky.
    Rollei 2.8C, R72, Connecticut River looking north from the East Thetford to Lyme NH bridge.

Name:	CR North 5-21.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	216323
    Lyme Hill NH from my house

Name:	Lyme Hill 5-21.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	216324

I like the sky tones you're getting here, Tom. Not black, like mine, but slightly darker than middle grey. Nice.

I've now shot about 10 rolls of IR400, and feel that it's a predictable film.
    At least in the sense that what I meter - for my ASA and matching development time - will give me the negative I expect.
    I'm still shooting moonscapes because IR film should look strange, in my opinion.

Anyway, here's the film developed in HC-110(B) at 100F for 45 seconds: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmVL9oB5
    Day for night.

I had been gifted one 120 format roll of Rollei Infrared film, and decided to have at go a couple of days ago. My Rolleiflex E3 Planar 3.5 would be ideal as i have a clever adapter that allows the use of Leica 39mm filters on the bayonet II.
    so I mounted the Leica I.R. filter and went ahead. In bright sun I exposed 1/60 sec. f 5.6 handheld. Developed in Xtol replenished for about 14 minutes. Scanned with Minolta Scan Multi Pro.

Alléen ved Gyldensteen Strand. by Michael G, on Flickr

Michael.
    P.S. Unfortunately i had some mottling from backing paper.

Thanks for adding to the thread, Michael. Good photo.

I tried out a cheap IR950 filter with Rollei IR400, and it did produce some results.
    Exposure times were counted on my watch, ranging from 2s to 15s to bracket exposures.
    Results vary greatly, some have totally blocked-up blacks, some look soft and infrared-y.
    But I think similar/identical results could be obtained using the IR720 filter. And you'd have shorter exposure times.

Oh, to have HIE again! At least I wouldn't have to do all this testing just to try and close to what HIE looks like.
    I'm not sure if I'll pursue this line of testing, but here it is:

And still in an experimental mood, I mixed up some Pyrocat HD and processed film in my Jobo
    1:1:100 at 75F and TF-5 fixer. Light leak is my fault, I'm pretty rusty using the bulk film loader.

Film EI was somewhere between 25 and 12 ASA, Hoya IR72 filter
    It's grainier, contrastier, which I appreciate. Blacks are almost completely blocked.
    I may have to play with this some more.

Any suggestions on using Pyrocat HD with IR400 are welcome!