Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rollei Infrared 400

Re: Rollei Infrared 400

I found a good deal on a Haida filter set-up, similar to the Cokin, but less expensive.
    It's a drop-in filter, with holder and adapter ring, the M10 series.
    I used to deal in Haida filters and know them to be well-made with a more neutral color cast than most other brands.
    And after comparing the way the Haida and Cokin filter holders worked, I decided I liked the Haida method. Looks faster, more stupid-proof (very important for me).

For what it is worth, after a couple less than optimal [under]exposures , for Rollei Infrared 400 through a Hoya R72 I have arrived to at least 16 seconds at F22 on a bright sunny day(clear sky). Apparently that exposure time also accounts for reciprocity failure.

Good thread. I just bought a 100' spool of Rollei IR 400 in 35mm and a few rolls of 120. Might try it in 4x5 too but I never shot much of the Efke IR I had in sheets. I liked Ilford's SFX with just an R25 filter, so I'll start with that, though I have a Haida 720 filter as well.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Bryan, if you can post some SFX with R25 shots, I'd appreciate it.
    No rush, of course, just my curiosity.

Unfortunately, i've suffered from the sheet film being oversized to the point where several sheets from the box would not fit my holders.

I aim for an EI of 6 with a Hoya R72, about 6 stops off of the rated 400.

Mike

This became my main IR film. I quite like it. I still have about 50 sheets of Efke IR in 8x10, though. That's lovely stuff, and much closer to old HIE. When I'm out with Rollie, I almost always use a 72R filter with a factor of 32. EI without filter is also 100. With filter, 3. I was developing it in Pyrocat-HD, but for the past few months, Xtol-R. My only criticism of the Rollie film is the extremely thin film base! But... beggars can't be choosers!

John Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    My only criticism of the Rollie film is the extremely thin film base! But... beggars can't be choosers!
    I'll second that. It's like loading fairy dust. Easy to double load; you know if you can feel the film firmly that you've grabbed two sheets - and they will slide into your holders. But I love the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Bryan, if you can post some SFX with R25 shots, I'd appreciate it.
    No rush, of course, just my curiosity.
    It was nice to look back at some of those images...I need to print a couple more of my SFX shots from a trip to Florida I did two years ago! I posted them in the MF IR thread.

I also showed one weakness of the SFX film, and other Ilford films, the backing paper in hot/humid environments. I wonder how the Rollei will hold up.

I'm going to the Florida Keys next month, I will bring some Rollei IR...
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Thanks, Bryan. I very much like the tones you get with the R25 filter, more understated than what the IR720 gives.

Following up: I mixed up a batch of Eco-Pro developer, had a bit of difficulty getting all of it dissolved.
    Went out to shoot a quick roll of Rollei using the IR720 filer on the GX680.
    Developed the film using a 1:1 dilution for 7.5 minutes, and I found that the film looked a little, well...flat. At first, I thought it was under-developed.

Sure enough, when scanning and processing in PS, I really had to boost contrast and do a lot of burning to get something adequate.
    It was a bright, sunny day, around 530pm, not hazy or overcast. But looking at my film, I knew right away it looked flat and lacked contrast.
    The expired Maco film I developed in HC-110 (B) looked 100 times better than this, and looked more like IR film. Same filter.

Next time, I'll try undiluted developer, and then if I still get flat-looking negs, I'll see what the HC-110 and Rollei can do.
    I remember reading reviews of the Eco Pro, that it was a low-contrast developer. They weren't kidding!

These shots look fine, I like them, but both took a lot of work to get them there, work I usually don't have to do if the film is properly developed.

For comparison's sake, here's the shot on Maco IR820c, developed in HC-110 (B) tinted blue in PS, same IR720 filter. Not a good shot, but the tree and skies are doing what they're supposed to do on IR film :

Last edited by Ari; 23-May-2021 at 09:03.