Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: new (and first) 4x5 camera

Re: new (and first) 4x5 camera

IMO, purchase a GOOD used flat bed folder like a Toyo 45 or similar metal folder. Wood can be ok with proper construction, wood choices and such. None of this will be low cost.

Camera needs to have no less than 300mm of bellows and camera draw. Do take the time to read this LF info page on Lenses, Cameras and more.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.info/

IMO, stay away from newly offered budget field fiolders and such as they come across as flimsy, not a great value (new, is less important as long term serviceability/reliability and all that) and not nearly as well designed-made as cameras offered by long established view camera makers that have been at this for decades.

As for press cameras, they have a place, but they have specific limitations and advantages. Know 4x5 press cameras were originally designed to be used hand held with a medium wide lens and flash bulb gun to achieve "enough in focus at f16" using the lens focused distance scale and stops or rangefinder. When these press cameras are pressed into more serious view camera work that involves significant camera movements, really wide angle or telephoto lenses and such, the tend to hit their limits rapidly.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by tykos View Post
    yes, i'm also searching the used market, but frankly i don't think i've ever saw an intrepid or a chamonix. Never lose hope, though!!

well, my first post comes after that thinking:
    - landscapes, woodlands, some other things
    - not creepy wide lenses, my hasselblad's 50 is the least used one
    - not super tele
    - preferably portable, "backpack-able", even in some steep hikes and with some non photo gear with me
    - budget

the cameras i listed are all pretty light, the price is reasonable (for me, obv), they support probably wider lenses i'd like to use, they have similar movements that (i think, here i need the experts e.g. this forum) are suitable for my needs. Stenopeika does not have front shift but has back swing, toyo does not have any back movement (apart those derived from the drop bed), i think they are quite similar, all things considered.

That's that.

Big is Good

One option for carrying gear around is a jogging baby stroler. It is easy to push,even on trails. it can hold a lot of gear and has rain covers.

Is Argentum still building cameras?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Pamsails View Post
    One option for carrying gear around is a jogging baby stroler. It is easy to push,even on trails. it can hold a lot of gear and has rain covers.
    yeah, i think it's easy when the trail is like a land rover trail (and a flat one), but i don't think it would work quite smooth on a trail like this: http://ridingthebuses.com/wp-content.../The-trail.jpg (first picture of a trail i've come across)

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Is Argentum still building cameras?
    their price list is quite similar to the chamonix one, i think

Quote Originally Posted by Pamsails View Post
    One option for carrying gear around is a jogging baby stroller. It is easy to push, even on trails. It can hold a lot of gear and has rain covers.
    If I passed curious hikers, I'd be tempted to ask if they'd like to see my one-eyed baby under the rain covers. ;^)

1. The Toyo 45CF is discontinued, and parts are not available. If something breaks, there is no way to repair it.
    2. The Japan-EU FTA mandates no customs duty on Japanese goods imported from Japan. Only the importing country's VAT and courier handling charges (if applicable) are charged.

Kumar

Do or do not. There is no try.

The Intrepid has a lot going for it as a first camera. It's inexpensive, decently made, and as you're in Europe support isn't that far away. If you buy a new one you'll get the latest version with all the design improvements that have been made since the initial introduction, and at a price that's very competitive with much of the used gear on the market. If you ultimately decide that LF just isn't your bag you'll be able to sell it on without much trouble.

Every 4x5 camera has its own features and design compromises; whether they're good or bad is a highly individual matter. Some people like traditional wooden folders, some are happy with a camera like the Intrepid or Chamonix where the front standard detaches. And there are press cameras, and monorails, but maybe those aren't the best choices for what you say you want to do. Some people want or need lots of movements for their work, some are willing to trade off some of those capabilities for less weight. The only way to know what you want is to dive in and find out for yourself. It wouldn't be surprising if your first 4x5 isn't your last if you decide you really like working with LF - as you gain experience you'll learn what you like and don't like and that knowledge will guide your journey. It's different from working with MF.

Remember that LF is more than just the camera - you'll need lenses, lensboards, film holders, a loupe, a dark cloth, a tripod, and cable releases (you probably already have a light meter). Other bits will creep into your kit over time as you develop your personal working methods.

Get a camera, one lens, and the absolute necessities, and give it a go. Practice setting it up, taking it down, and working with it in your home before you take it out into the world. Read. Ask questions. Work deliberately and thoughtfully. You'll make mistakes and ruin film, we all did (and do). Keep notes and learn from your errors as well as from your successes. You may decide that LF just isn't for you so it's better to figure that out with a minimal kit before you're into it for a small fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    1. The Toyo 45CF is discontinued, and parts are not available. If something breaks, there is no way to repair it.
    2. The Japan-EU FTA mandates no customs duty on Japanese goods imported from Japan. Only the importing country's VAT and courier handling charges (if applicable) are charged.

Kumar
    Kumar,

I beg to differ.
    As I have bought several items from you and also a Chamonix, I can confirm that there is customs to pay for everything that’s not coming from inside the EU here in Belgium.

Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMarq View Post
    Kumar,

I beg to differ.
    As I have bought several items from you and also a Chamonix, I can confirm that there is customs to pay for everything that’s not coming from inside the EU here in Belgium.

Patrick
    And the same goes for Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMarq View Post
    Kumar,

I beg to differ.

Patrick
    Quote Originally Posted by lassethomas View Post
    And the same goes for Sweden
    The EU and Japan's Economic Partnership Agreement came into force on 1 February 2019. The EPA provides for a gradual reduction of duties starting from that date, with each year beginning on 1 April. If I am reading this document https://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/do...doc_157229.pdf correctly, the base rate was 6.7% prior to the EPA coming into force. Until 31 March, 2019, it was 5.0%, 3.4% until 2020, 1.7% until 31 March, 2021 and 0% this year. If my reading is a year off, it is 1.7% this year. Please see page 95 of the document for photo equipment.

Kumar