Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shipping 8x10 wooden camera safely

Re: Shipping 8x10 wooden camera safely

My Ebony is the non-folding SLW model and I didn’t realise when I bought it but the knobs stick out a bit too long to fit in any cabin camera case within size limits. I can always carry it in a duffel bag and put it under the seat. I suppose I can get one of those Pelican cases with the foam cut out and check it in. I plan to FedEx it so should get a hard case and then put it in a box. I heard the screws in wooden cameras can come loose with transport vibrations. Is that true?

I find metal cameras often loosen up from airplane vibration

Wood less so
    Tin Can

Enough bubble wrap around it, placed in an oversized sturdy double box with gg packed separately, and camera wrapped in waterproof bag (in case box gets wet) is fine...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Enough bubble wrap around it, placed in an oversized sturdy double box with gg packed separately, and camera wrapped in waterproof bag (in case box gets wet) is fine...

Steve K
    That’s was how it was shipped to me from Ebony in Japan so I guess I am just over cautious. I’ll do just that, thanks.

I bought an 8X10 B&J Commercial model last year on ebay. The seller, who is not a camera guy did a remarkable job of protecting the camera by cutting a thick foam mattress topper to isolate the body, bed extension and two backs on all sides.

Only thing he could have done better would have been to double box it using packing peanuts
    in-between to two. Postage costs a lot more than it used to.

My cousin was a cellist and when he was booked for a solo appearance he wouldn't take the gig if they didn't pay for two 1st class seats - one for him and one for the cello. His cello was made in 1716. He had an 1812 cello that heshipped when he traveled with the Philadelphia Orchestra.

I discovered something unexpected about shipping damage when I was working with some high precision equipment - we had a box dropped in transit and the shock bent the sheet metal of the equipment which was in a cutout section of the foam.. The solution was to "chamfer" the foam packing so the foam didn't contact the edges or corners of the box.