Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping 8x10 wooden camera safely

Shipping 8x10 wooden camera safely

I have a 8x10 Ebony camera I need to ship to the US from Asia and am worried about potential damage. They are not made anymore and I would fly with it on my lap if at all possible. Can anyone give me advice how to pack it and whether I should ship it in a hard case? Yes I am paranoid. My camera is something very dear to me. Thanks in advance.

Re: Shipping 8x10 wooden camera safely

Double-box: camera in a hardcase, and the hardcase in a box or crate with good padding. Don't forget insurance!

You could also consider international art movers / transportation, they know how to handle fragile objects but it will cost you. Or hire someone & pay his/her ticket to do it for you.

Back in the day, some would buy a airplane seat to ship

I have shipped almost world wide

My shipping box is usually at least 4 times the size of the camera, in all dimensions with coroplast or plywood panels to slow puncture

and I pack, nobody else cares

pack GG separately from camera body, as if it breaks, the glass may ruin bellows
    Last edited by Tin Can; 12-May-2021 at 04:28. Reason: GG Pack
    Tin Can

Thanks. I’ll ship the back with GG separately. I didn’t think of that. Great advice.

I hear Yo Yo Ma buys another first class seat for his cello.

A few years ago I brought an 8x10 2D from Europe to South Korea in a carry on sized suitcase. It went in the overhead luggage storage, surely that would be safe enough? I'd keep the back with the camera, it'd be really annoying if the back went missing in the post somehow.

Not what I meant

Same big box with special inner boxes for…

Quote Originally Posted by pjd View Post
    A few years ago I brought an 8x10 2D from Europe to South Korea in a carry on sized suitcase. It went in the overhead luggage storage, surely that would be safe enough? I'd keep the back with the camera, it'd be really annoying if the back went missing in the post somehow.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Not what I meant

Same big box with special inner boxes for…
    Yes, I see what you mean. I think carrying it in a small suitcase in cabin would work well, and it couldn't get thrown around by airport staff that way.

On the other hand, it's just a camera (albeit a handsome one). BB King called all his guitars Lucille to remind him there are many guitars but only one BB King:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGsvAMRFivo

I was forced to see/hear BB King 52 years ago for 'free', a mandatory concert for college freshman

I became a big fan and for decades I went to Blues clubs in Chicago

Most clubs have faded to yuppy

but while it lasted, we ALL had a good time

My pinnacle Blues experience was a Midnight Blues Cruise on a boat that held 100, barely

So sad when we saw the dawn

A fully illegal act on Lake Michigan, I was one of a few white boys. Everybody was snorting blow and drinking heavily

No BB, but his friends were there

Quote Originally Posted by pjd View Post
    Yes, I see what you mean. I think carrying it in a small suitcase in cabin would work well, and it couldn't get thrown around by airport staff that way.

On the other hand, it's just a camera (albeit a handsome one). BB King called all his guitars Lucille to remind him there are many guitars but only one BB King:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGsvAMRFivo
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Rayt View Post
    I hear Yo Yo Ma buys another first class seat for his cello.
    This is definitely a thing with cellists, not just Yo Yo Ma, though most of them aren't doing it first class, and most of them don't have a cello worth as much as the plane...
    Knew one guy who was OK with checking his in baggage, but he had this immense flight case for it. Most pros would rather buy the extra seat and have a light case they can actually carry around.

Personally, I always put my cameras in carry-on baggage. Never know when you have a good opportunity for a nice shot out the window! I hope someday I see someone doing that with an 8x10. Hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I was forced to see/hear BB King 52 years ago for 'free', a mandatory concert for college freshman

I became a big fan and for decades I went to Blues clubs in Chicago
    That's great, I'm struggling to remember what I heard while at uni - so it wasn't that good! The Lucille story stuck with me since I heard it, like King's playing.

I hope the OP finds a good way of getting that 8x10 Ebony around.