Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Common Large Format Mistakes

Re: Common Large Format Mistakes

Very nice little video! Even though I have been using LF cameras for about 50 years now (!), I still occasionally make his first and last mistakes, always if I have gone too long without using the camera, and as he puts it, "lost the muscle memory."

For the first, forgetting to shut the preview lever on the lens, I try to remember to always fire the shutter once before I pull the dark slide. If the shutter won't fire, I've caught the problem before exposing the film at full aperture.

For the last, forgetting to flip the dark slide, I've never found a failsafe. Sadly I have on (rare, thank goodness) occasion taken out the holder after making an exposure, and noticed that I either have two "black side out" slides when I know I have only made one exposure, or two "white out" slides when I know one side has been exposed. In either case, after muttering choice words, I put the holder in with the completely used holders, knowing that when I develop film I will have one exposed and one unexposed negative. I have wasted film, but will at least have one image as I intended.

All my holders have either odd/even numbers or an A/B side marking - it depends where they came from and who marked them up. I expose them in order. I also flip the darkslide when I remove it so it is ready to go back in the exposed orientation. But it is still possible to make a mistake. Doing split 8x10 means I have to look at the accompanying diagram to see which half of each side has been exposed. Worst case I wide up with half the sheet unused if I lose the Post-It.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Patterson View Post
    All my holders have either odd/even numbers or an A/B side marking ... I expose them in order.
    I also label each side of each film holder with A, B, C, etc.

For example, if I carry three loaded film holders, I have A, B, C, D, E, F.

Usually, I can remember which letter is “next,” but since I always take field notes for each shot, just to be safe, I’ll check to see which letter was last to receive notes. If I see my field notes for “C,” and none for “D,” then I know it’s time for “D.” If days go by between shots, the field notes become an indispensable memory aid: “Did I take B last, or was it C?” – field notes to the rescue.

Almost forgot! My most common LF mistake. That has to be believing the wind will subside simply because I want it to. Yes, I often fall victim to the illusion of wishful thinking. How ego-centric of me. What actually makes the wind subside is not wishful thinking, but saying “I hate rabbits” out loud.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Well earlier this month I made, at least for me, an uncommon mistake: I failed to load one side of an 8x10 holder and that was the one I brought with me to shoot the "California Volunteers" kallitype posted in the "Sculpture" thread. When loading in the Harrison tent, I move both locking pins to the unloaded side when loading the first sheet and then move the pin up for the side just loaded, flip the holder and load the 2d side moving its pin parallel to the top of the holder and out of the way. Occasionally I loose track of where I am exactly - especially when I am loading all 10 holders - and in those cases check both sides for the presence of film. But this time one side got away from me and it's the first time that has happened. I was surprised to find that side was empty when I got home to process in a Jobo 2830 tank but relieved: It was a windy day on arguably the windiest corner of San Francisco and I was shooting with the 760mm lens so the MII was at its maximum extension and although I was blocking the back of the camera with a golf umbrella I thought I saw the front standard vibrate as I tripped the shutter. Due to the windy conditions I didn't try to take a "back-up" shot and felt almost certain that the negative was no good. So I felt relieved that I didn't waste a negative. I returned to the location a couple of days late when the surface wind, transport wind and 20' wind forecast was more agreeable and found the conditions even more favorable and took the shot with the 610mm.

Thomas

That's why I would love film to be packaged in an even number of sheets. I write the number of sheets removed on the box after each loading session so I know if I need to set up a new box as well. No, it is not always (this) fool proof!

Forgetting that there are always new mistakes to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    On the spectrum

I count all the time!
    Interesting that you say that. So do I.
    Brass is a metal alloy, not a lens type - MichaelE

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jacketch/

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    Almost forgot! My most common LF mistake. That has to be believing the wind will subside simply because I want it to. Yes, I often fall victim to the illusion of wishful thinking. How ego-centric of me. What actually makes the wind subside is not wishful thinking, but saying “I hate rabbits” out loud.
    I thought that tripping on one of the tripod legs and moving the camera was the best guarantee of stopping the wind.
    Brass is a metal alloy, not a lens type - MichaelE

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jacketch/

For me, the wind doesn't pick up until I pull the dark slide.

Quote Originally Posted by John Earley View Post
    I thought that tripping on one of the tripod legs and moving the camera was the best guarantee of stopping the wind.
    Tripping on one tripod leg was what got :the shot" of Mt. Saint Helens blowing out on one side.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!