Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Common Large Format Mistakes

Re: Common Large Format Mistakes

1. Forgetting the shutter release cord
    2. Talking to bystanders while I'm shooting with my 11x14 in the center of our town.
    3. When testing out a lens, not taking detailed notes but trusting my memory.
    4. When tray processing sheet film, having my iPhone in my t-shirt pocket and having it light up with an incoming call.... yes it will fog the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Ouch!! I've done that once as well (only once, thank goodness...). Same scenario: packing up after a long hike in Death Valley, placed the tripod on the passenger's side of the rig, packed everything else into the car and then drove away and forgot it. I didn't discover it till the next day. I returned to the location (rather remote too), but the tripod was gone... I had to drive into Las Vegas for a new one (actually a used Bogen that I still have and use).
    I wish your tripod had been patiently waiting for you the next day! I realized what I’d done about 20 miles down a lonely FS road. When I returned, the tripod was still there, but it looked like someone had driven over it! Then I realized I was the one who had done so, without noticing any “bump.” Luckily, the Ries wasn’t damaged, just a few deep scratches from the gravel that remind me to this day of that frightening experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    I wish your tripod had been patiently waiting for you the next day! I realized what I’d done about 20 miles down a lonely FS road. When I returned, the tripod was still there, but it looked like someone had driven over it! Then I realized I was the one who had done so, without noticing any “bump.” Luckily, the Ries wasn’t damaged, just a few deep scratches from the gravel that remind me to this day of that frightening experience.
    At least you guys remembered that you'd left your tripod! I wonder how many similar events resulted in the proverbial "lost sock".
    There was another thread here about lost cable releases, and some tricks to prevent that from happening. Anyone have some sage advice for the absent minded among us?

Quote Originally Posted by sharktooth View Post
    ... Anyone have some sage advice for the absent minded among us?
    Travel, camp, and backpack a lot. There is nothing like repetition to drill important habits into one's brain. I always do a visual sweep of my stopping, resting, photography spot before heading off. Well...almost always.

Putting things back in the same place all the time helps when one notices a place is empty.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Anyone have some sage advice for the absent minded among us?
    After loading my pack, or after loading my car, I’ll do a 60-second “walk-around” and look for any stray or forgotten items.

The older I get, the more items I've saved. ;^)

After loading my pack, or after loading my car, I’ll do a 60-second “walk-around” and look for any stray or forgotten items.

The older I get, the more items I’ve saved. ;^)
    What are the things you've found? (or what is most likely to get lost of forgotten)

What are the things you've found? (or what is most likely to get lost of forgotten)
    One might think the value of Pentax digital makes it less likely to be forgotten.

Not for me. Especially since I don't like wearing it on a lanyard like a necklace.

I’ve wrapped it with a strip of orange tape to help me "find" it before leaving a shot location.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Travel, camp, and backpack a lot. There is nothing like repetition to drill important habits into one's brain. I always do a visual sweep of my stopping, resting, photography spot before heading off. Well...almost always.

Putting things back in the same place all the time helps when one notices a place is empty.
    I used to use one of those fishing vest thingies with all the pockets. I kept certain things in certain pockets, so it was easier to find and easier to check if missing. The only downside is the vests aren't great for driving, so they're often going on and off, which makes it more likely things could fall out and get lost in the process. Lately I've been trying to keep things in a backpack type case, but I tend to throw a lot of small things in together, so it's not so obvious to see if things are there or not.

One might think the value of Pentax digital makes it less likely to be forgotten.

Not for me. Especially since I don't like wearing it on a lanyard like a necklace.

I’ve wrapped it with a strip of orange tape to help me "find" it before leaving a shot location.
    That's a good point. Light meters are expensive, but just get in the way after you've taken a reading. Easy enough to put down somewhere and forget about in the "decisive moment".

Does anyone attach things to the tripod to keep them handy? I'm thinking of things like cable releases, lens caps, look-up guides, dark cloths, or whatever? If so, how do you do it? (inveterate tripod kickers need not reply)