Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Common Large Format Mistakes

Common Large Format Mistakes

I just watched this YouTube video on "Common Large Format Mistakes" and thought it would be useful to pass along. Some handy tips of what to watch out for and avoid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=990AhBxiIRo

It's made by a young guy who makes The Standard 4x5 camera, which was also interesting. It's one of those inexpensive 3D printed affairs with aluminum supports and some stainless steel hardware. It's also unusual in that it's a monorail design.

Re: Common Large Format Mistakes

Forget to pull/insert the dark slide
    Forget to close shutter prte-view
    Film not properly loaded in film holder
    Forget to make adjustment for bellows extension.

Forgot to get out of bed for sunrise.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Probably the most common large format mistake is getting into large format in the first place...

"I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Forgot to get out of bed for sunrise.
    I sometimes dream of getting out of bed before sunrise, but I usually wake from that nightmare in the warm light of day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Probably the most common large format mistake is getting into large format in the first place...

Yabbut, we all learn from our mistakes. That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger ... or whatever.

Unfortunately, this ol' geezer ain't gettin' any stronger, so I feel right at home with the rest of you slow learners.

Eric Woodbury

Some of the best advice ever given to me: In camera or in the darkroom, include what needs to be in the image and leave out the rest. In other words, don't be afraid to crop or otherwise edit (burn, de-emphasize, spot, etc.). Don't leave artifacts in the image for which you apologize.

Another, give the negative plenty of light. It is nice to have every negative perfect from shadows to highlights, but with large formats one of the biggest assets is the big negative (lack of grain in final image), so why not give it more light. How many images are lost from a little underexposure versus a little over exposure.

Spend more time with a viewing card and/or viewing filter to determine exact camera placement. Make the image in your mind before you make it in the camera.

Except as practice, don't remake other photographer's images unless you can make them better. Time is better spent creating YOUR IMAGES. Don't be afraid to "put yourself out there". Make your own statements that reflect your personal view.

Less time on the forum and more time behind the camera. Talking about it doesn't get it done. Do something photographic every day.

Don't worry about the gear. It steals too much time away from the goal.

The most common LF mistake is believing the slowing of the process as the camera size increases will make you a better photographer.

Drew Wiley

The biggest mistake of all is assuming that LF photography is non-addictive!

A mistake which I continue to make on a regular basis is to forget to bring my watch (which I typically do not wear) along to count seconds for my exposures. The upside of this is that I've now gotten really good at estimating seconds!

In fact...one of my favorite "can't get back to sleep" obsessions is to note when our digital LED clock moves forward a minute...then count seconds in my head for a full minute and see how close I can be to the clock's timing. Usually I'm within a second, plus or minus.

I took this idea a bit further during my teaching career - offering, for bonus points on tests, that students could count seconds to themselves as I waited. Within three seconds of a full minute? Five extra points. Within one second? Ten extra points. Some of these students would get so obsessed with this that they, too, would engage in my night time counting exercise...often calling my attention during darkroom lab sessions to demonstrate their newfound prowess...showing me how they could simply utilize the off-on switch on an enlarger timer and count seconds for their exposures - including all of their dodging and burning times! Got to be somewhat of "a thing" for these sessions. Good life skill I think!

On the spectrum

I count all the time!
    Tin Can