Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Film in freezer

Re: Film in freezer

I'm with Peter on this. Has worked fine for me for many years. Once I open a box it tends to spend time in the fridge (at about 38F) but it is in a sealed bag and I let it get up to room temperature before opening it. I also keep loaded film holders in the fridge, each in a sealed bag, and have never had an issue. I just don't open any bag before everything is at room temperature.

the two big problems are warm moist air cooling and causing condensation when in contact with cold film fresh out of the freezer or when trapped in the film's packaging and placed back in the freezer. get yourself a vacuum sealer and divide your film up into smaller sealed batches that you only have to freeze once.

Thanks for the feedback everyone - much appreciated :-)

Drew Wiley

I once had a huge desiccation chamber for a different purpose. It sometimes doubled for this kind of application, but BIG expensive graphics film to the freezer, and not this kind of ordinary thing. But never say, "never had a problem", as if your own customs were a law of the universe. For everyone of those kinds of statements, somebody else will have a horror story to tell, especially if they're a conservator or restorationist, or live in a significantly different climate. What is ubiquitously agreed upon is that when you take your film out of the freezer, give it ample time to adjust to ambient air temperature before unwrapping it.