Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paterson Orbital - lost base, what can I do?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Paterson Orbital - lost base, what can I do?

Hi, in my moving around all over the place, I've realised that I have lost my Paterson Orbital manual base. This is frustrating me, as I don't particularly want to dump another 100 for another Orbital. I develop 5x7 film.

So, what are my options? Can I put in more developer and agitate it by lifting? Is anyone else doing that? Or am I going to have to stump up the cash?
    Instagram username: @AlmosLataan

My Website

Re: Paterson Orbital - lost base, what can I do?

Hmmm, just found this: http://freepdfhosting.com/f640343f29.pdf

Looks like I may be in luck. However, I'm still interested to hear if any of you are using this semi-stand method...

My Website

If you're doing semi-stand with your Orbital, you might make a virtue of necessity and use it with a water bath. I've been using dilute Pyrocat HD for two 5x7 sheets; simply tapping on the corners clockwise, then counter-clockwise, serves as agitation.

A couple of other tips: 1.) during the cooler months, I put the water bath on top of a waterproof heating mat to make sure temps remain relatively constant, and 2.) since you're limited to ~500 ml of developer per run, with two sheets of 5x7 I've taken to replenishing with a fresh 500 ml halfway through to make sure I've enough active chemistry for that amount of surface area. (Of course, that's a call you'd want to make after testing.)

Ah okay, sounds like a water bath could be useful. One thing though - I am concerned that water could enter the tank at the edges. Or does it float quite high? (Probably a stupid question)

My Website

I haven't had a problem taking on water, even when the Orbital is relatively full. Otherwise, I have noted that some users develop without a water bath simply by lifting the corners as you mention.

As with most things LF I'm finding, there might be some trial-and-error on your part before you find out what works for you. (FWIW, if you've not already, you might consider removing the fins from the top insert if you're getting surge patterns or uneven development.)

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    I haven't had a problem taking on water, even when the Orbital is relatively full. Otherwise, I have noted that some users develop without a water bath simply by lifting the corners as you mention.

As with most things LF I'm finding, there might be some trial-and-error on your part before you find out what works for you. (FWIW, if you've not already, you might consider removing the fins from the top insert if you're getting surge patterns or uneven development.)
    Yes, I've removed fins. I've also added some joke shop sticky "eyes" to the bottom to raise the negative. I would show a picture, but my wife is using my phone as an alarm at the moment, but maybe tomorrow!

My Website

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post

(Also, thanks for your help on this)

My Website

As mentioned yesterday, here are those eyes that I use to keep up the negative. They seem to be fixed down solidly, and I have run about 20 prints through this Orbital so far.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210510_142910.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	215705

My Website

This is hilarious and genius at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by MilamBardo View Post
    As mentioned yesterday, here are those eyes that I use to keep up the negative. They seem to be fixed down solidly, and I have run about 20 prints through this Orbital so far.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210510_142910.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	215705

Quote Originally Posted by MilamBardo View Post
    As mentioned yesterday, here are those eyes that I use to keep up the negative.
    Ha, that's pretty cool... Definitely look forward to seeing your work--I just glimpsed a bit through the Instagram paywall, but the color palette seemed really to my taste.