Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikkor SW 150 on Canham 8x10 Lightweight?

Nikkor SW 150 on Canham 8x10 Lightweight?

The title says it all. I am looking at a Canham 8x10 Lightweight, and wonder if my Nikkor SW 150 f8 will fit on the smaller front standard that camera has. Presently I am using a V8 Deardorff w/adapter to Wista/Linhof boards. All of my lenses are on metal Wista boards, except the big Nikkor. With 95mm filter size on front+rear, I have to remove my adapter and use this lens on a standard 6x6 Deardorff board. I'm wondering if any combo of adapter will allow this lens on a lightweight Canham.

Thanks,
    Kent

Re: Nikkor SW 150 on Canham 8x10 Lightweight?

I believe the 8x10 lightweight used lensboards 110mm x 110mm, so you should be OK. But at the same time I strongly advise you to contact Keith Canham and ask him directly.

Great, thank you.

Well the word is in from Mr. Canham, and the Nikkor SW 150 f8 will not fit on a Canham 8x10 Lightweight model.
    "The front standard will accept a rear element of 3.7" in diameter."
    That comes to 93.98mm. The rear element of the lens takes a 95mm filter. So, a couple of mm too big.

To avoid any confusion for someone looking for information from this thread in the future: some years back Canham changed his 8x10 front standards from Toyo field size to Sinar/Horseman size, so late-production 8x10s have a larger opening and may well be compatible with the 150 SW. If you're considering purchasing a Canham 8x10, check the front standard opening size and lensboard compatibility of the specific camera you're looking at.

You can see the current specifications on the Canham website:

https://canhamcameras.com/

Kent,

While it might be a PITA, could you remove the rear group from the shutter, mount the lens board, then remove the camera back and re-install the rear group into the shutter, then re-install the camera back?

Depends on how often you will be changing that lens in and out, and how much you would prefer the Canham to the Deardorff you are using now.

Good luck,

Len

Each time the lens cells are removed from the shutter or barrel there is a risk of damaging the lens cells and threads. This is not something that should be done as part of routine lens mounting to any camera.

That said, this is another example of camera before lens or then the camera choice is the primary consideration with lens and else related being the primary considerations then camera choice far lower down the decision tree.

There are always trade-offs involved with any camera-lens-camera support and all related. To put lowest camera weight at the top of the list will impose very specific limits and total acceptance of these limits must be completely accepted for the gain in lowest camera weight.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Len Middleton View Post
    Kent,

While it might be a PITA, could you remove the rear group from the shutter, mount the lens board, then remove the camera back and re-install the rear group into the shutter, then re-install the camera back?

I agree Bernice. As a practice I would never be beholden to removing/reassembling a lens to mount it (especially the Nikkor 150 which is approaching baseball sized glass). The lens threads are very fine and could easily strip. I did try this ONCE, to test the lens, but going forward I would not do this. Presently looking at the Canham 8x10 wooden standard camera.

Share a story. Many years ago, friend got a Canham 45DLC as a demo. We both took the DLC out to try, became very impressed with the DLC in many ways as it worked remarkably well as a lightweight field folder. Friend ended up purchasing the 45DLC and enjoys it much to this day. At that time, called Keith Canham to chat about how good the design and real world performance of the DLC was. Suggested producing a 5x7 version of the DLC and using Sinar lens boards (good lens board design, common and lens accommodating) for the 5x7 and larger versions. After some discussion with Keith, he agreed and it appears Sinar lens boards became part of the Canham camera designs.

And yes, like Keith Canham's cameras much in many ways.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Phelan View Post
    Presently looking at the Canham 8x10 wooden standard camera.

Bernice's comments confuse me. I've had two DLCs, have on MLC, a 4x10, and had a lightweight 8x10. All used the same sized Canham lens boards, which I don't think are Sinar sized.