Re: Retaining ring stuck on Horseman board

I am very careful with any solvent

I once looked up and my girlfriends Afro was on fire

I had to run around a shop bench and put it out before she realized

She was OK

I have seen too may accidents
    Tin Can

Hervé, if you need to send it to a repair guy, the one I use is in Quebec City.
    Call René: http://www.servicecamerapro.com/e-home.html

But I would keep trying at home first.
    I think you need a tool more suited to this job. I'd take a good-sized piece of wood, and drive two nails through it that correspond to the spacing of the slots in the retaining ring.
    Then I'd get a large thick rubber band (or jar opener) and hold the shutter with that while apply the torque to the ring with the two nails.
    Here's a drawing of what I mean:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5485.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	215671

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    ...You have the right tool...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    ...It's too bad the best lens wrenches are no longer made. The best alternative today is one made of heavy steel with teeth appropriate for several rings, like a Rodenstock.
    You guys are both wrong. Jim on both counts.

I've had the same struggle with retaining rings on Horseman field camera 80mm square lens boards, of which I have many for my VH and FA cameras. First, the Rodenstock wrench won't work because it's too wide to fit inside the circular light trap ring on the back of the boards, and therefore its teeth won't seat in the ring's slots. Second, the OP's pointy wrench is unsuitable for wider slots in Copal retaining rings like his Nikkor's. Finally, the wrench that's needed is still available for purchase brand new. It's the flat tip version from S.K. Grimes:

That one always works for me. It will for you too, Hervé.

Sal, the tool I have, similar to OP is pointy on one end and flat blades on the other

The SK Grimes issue looks good

I will buy one
    Tin Can

@ Sal Santamaura : Thanks a lot Sal. Do you think it'd be that different from the flat tips I have on my actual wrench? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2542.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	215675

@ Ari : Looked like a great solution, but it failed once again. My wrench is good enough to stabilize the retaining ring like the nails would, but the problem is that my Compur 0 shutter doesn't have a clear grip for my hands around it, even with a rubber band, because there's always a small button in the way. I was forcing it again really hard with a rubber band around the shutter and the wrench tightly in place, but it doesn't move. And it's great you suggest René, I know him really well. He still works in my hometown and I always thought he was the best. It's just a little far from Montreal now ;-)

Too bad it didn't work, Hervé.
    Maybe the lens wrench Sal suggested will work.

45er

Put the board in a vice so it is horizontal and gripped on two sides, the shutter facing down.

Pre–tension the wrench so it is a really tight fit and lock the thumb screws with pliers. It may help if before you tighten the screws you force the bottom legs of the wrench outwards and the top inward then tighten the thumb screws.

Use the center flat side of a large spanner for leverage inserted between the back of the lens and the first bar of the wrench. Do not use the end of the spanner on the wrench, you want to distribute the force equally to both sides of the wrench.

Grip the wrench and spanner very carefully with both hands simultaniously whilst applying the force to the spanner as far as you can comfortably from the center of the wrench with both hands, a little downward force may help the wrench stay located but not too much.

If possible have someone else hold the shutter from underneath with a steady tight grip, even better if a little force is directed upward against the board to give a little extra resistance to spinning.

If you can keep the wrench perpendicular and steady with your thumbs then your hands will be able to get a good grip of the spanner on each side to give far more force than the wrench alone will give you but the board will have to be locked in a vice solid for you to get the best from this.

Please note, using a spanner in this way is considered very bad practice and due to H&S rules is illegal in some workshops. If you are take your time and are carefull it may help you loosen the ring.

Quote Originally Posted by hervedemers View Post
    @ Sal Santamaura : Thanks a lot Sal. Do you think it'd be that different from the flat tips I have on my actual wrench? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2542.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	215675...
    The images you attached to the original post didn't make clear that there were flat tips on the other end. I'm unable to determine how thick they are from this image. However, the wrench doesn't appear quite as rigid or easy to hold securely as the Grimes wrench is.

I just fit my Grimes wrench to a Nikkor Copal 0 retaining ring. The flat tips are a bit more than 1 mm thick at the top of the ring's quarter-circle slots. They fill around 85% of the slots' width at the top of those slots. I guarantee nothing, but suspect the Grimes wrench would be much more successful at breaking the ring loose without further damaging it.

One thing that might make the task easier, whether you try again with your wrench or get a Grimes version, is to stop holding the shutter in one hand and the wrench in another. Rather, place the lensboard (horizontally) in a bench vice, supporting the shutter below so the only force that vice provides is against lensboard rotation around a vertical axis. Then use both hands to simultaneously apply down force and counter clockwise force on the wrench. Good luck!

Edit: seall posted while I was composing. I don't recommend going as far as using a "breaker bar." Otherwise, great minds think alike.

Thanks everybody for the thorough replies. I really appreciate the help from everybody. As my access to the tools mentioned are somewhat limited at the moment (vice, large spanners, or more expensive wrenches I might only use once), I'll try to see if a local repair shop would be able to help.

while I'd be a little concerned about dirt/oil infiltration, if you don't have a camera repair place locally, this is the sort of thing that a local machine shop could probably fix in 30 seconds, and machine shops are far more common than camera repair.