Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which 8x10 mono rail camera should I get for my schneider kreuznach xenar 480mm

Which 8x10 mono rail camera should I get for my schneider kreuznach xenar 480mm

Hey everyone,

I have a field camera for my Xenar 480mm but the bellows extension isn't enough for head shots.

I'm wondering, with my 5 inch diameter Xenar, what lens boards/8x10 mono rail cameras will it fit?

My field camera lens boards (toyo) I think were 6.2 inch square (the lens did fit) and the Sinar ones I believe are 5.497 square.

If you don't think the Xenar will fit that Sinar camera/lens board, what other affordable cameras would you recommend that
    will still allow me to add rail extensions to get to 30ish inch bellows extension?

Maybe one could use a 4x5 cambo like front standard/lens board which are bigger I think, bu then you would need a different bellows for the Sinar.

Sorry if my writing is confusing lol

Thanks for reading this.
    Be well

Best Regards,
    Kevin H.
    Last edited by Qeb; 9-May-2021 at 09:05.

Re: Which 8x10 mono rail camera should I get for my schneider kreuznach xenar 480mm

I have two 8X10 Cambo rear standards, Horseman rail, yields a big lensboard

Not used it yet, a plan is in process...

I now use the rare 50's Linhof Rail camera which has 9" lens board for large heavy lenses

This is a bolted on 8" wood lensboard, Kodak 405 Lens, Internal Packard with flash sync

I can switch to Cooke Series II SF 14-1/2" f4.5 using the bolts

I can also use the wood boards on my Studio Deardorff

Linhof triple Kodak 405 Portrait by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Re: Which 8x10 mono rail camera should I get for my schneider kreuznach xenar 480mm

Y'know, OP, there's no reason why a front standard has to support a heavy lens all by itself. You can always use a crutch to support the lens. See http://www.galerie-photo.com/baby-bertha-6x9-en.html figures 7, 10 and 12 for an example.

Baby Bertha was built around Cambo SC bits. A 4x5 Cambo board is 6.5" square. The Cambo SC rail is 1" square. 1"x1" t-slotted aluminum extrusion works well with Cambo SC standards, 80/20 brand as sold on amazon.com is quite inexpensive.

You are well on the way to earning a Mustafa award. It is named after a dreamer who combined a powerful imagination unconstrained by knowledge with complete unwillingness to do his own research.

For the third time, what's the budget for your DIY 8x10 monstrosity?

The Toyo G monorail is the best and strongest I've used. Second toughest was an older Arca Swiss 8x10.
    Others can include Sinar Norma, Sinar F/P, but Sinar uses 5.5 inch boards, so may not be ideal.
    Toyo G and Arca 171 boards are plenty big enough for your lens, Cambo as well.

That lens was almost never on a monorail

Tailboard camera

Study these

https://www.google.com/search?q=tail...w=1396&bih=664
    Tin Can

480mm f4.5 Xenar? was made only in barrel, large. Excellent 8x10 portrait lens (full aperture to f11), been there-did this.

Not just camera, this lens will need a shutter.

Suggestion would be to get a Sinar due to the ease of how well it can support this lens physically and the Sinar shutter allows exposure control.

480mm f4.5 Xenar on Sinar Norma.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Norma & 480mm f4.5 xenar.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	215662

480mm f4.5 Xenar on P2.

Name:	Sinar P2, 480mm f4.5 Xenar.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	215663

In either case, a special lens mount collar will need to be made to fit the Xenar to Sinar lens board.

Alternative would be some other BIG camera with a Packard or similar shutter.

Bernice

Hey Tin Can,
    Thanks for the reply. I was hoping the Xenar would fit on a Sinar
    I think we used Cambo's in University, sadly I don't see any for sale online.
    I guess I will just keep looking.

Sorry, missed your other reply.
    Oh yeah, those are kewl camera types.
    When I wanted to build my own ULF camera for wet plate collodion I considered these.
    But my Xenar is fitting on my field camera (lens is attached to a lens board by a local machine shop).

~~~

Hey Dan Fromm!

Thanks for your continued support with replies
    Wow, that Big Bertha link is great. Totally relevant to my dreams/goals.

Huh, so I can just get a long rail from Amazon eh? I guess cheaper than finding original rails and getting extension rails (if that's possible).

Wow, okay, so I'm on ebay and amazon, there seems to be lots of different kind of 80/20 extruded aluminum.
    If I get the right type, the camera attaches to the rails with no modifications? That's amazing!

Hahaha, never heard of the Mustafa award, but thank you for the nomination.
    You should hear about my aerospace ideas.

I don't mind spending some money, but I don't want to blow 10K usd for the 8x10 Gowlandflex hahahah.

Yep, I got 6.41" square form the cambo boards. So cambo might be good, even if I don't my Frankenstein 8x10 SLR.

Thanks again for your replies man!

~~~

Hey Ari, I don't see any Toyo Gs for sale online. Am I correct Cambos would be cheaper?

~~~

Thanks y'all

Hey Bernice,

Thanks for your reply.

Wow, thank so much for taking the time to post those photos.

If I go with the Sinar, may I ask you for photos of the special lens mount collar?
    I know a machine shop near by that might be able to help.

But Cambo seems easier to fit to lens board and Dan said the rails I can get from Amazon.
    Hmm... need to keep researching.

Thanks so much again

I don't have a 8x10 camera, but my Linhof Master Kardan GTL it's a 13x18/5x7 and I have the normal rail and the 90 cm rail that spans 915 mm between standard and ground glass, you could do near 1:1 with your 480 mm. It's a really strong rail. A friend is selling his Cambo Legend combo (4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 rears) and has a long and strong rail too.

480mm Xenar separated from the Sinar lens board with mounting collar, back side.

Name:	480mm Xenar, back.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	215716

Sinar lens board and collar details on the back side. There is a small step on the lens mounting collar that
    fits into the lens board hole. This acts as a light trap and lens collar to lens board locating feature.
    Flat head screws are M3 or similar size screws as each M3 screw will support no less than 100Kg.

Name:	480mm Xenar, back.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	215716

Front view, use only the last version of the Sinar lens board with the raised Sinar logo on front and red locating dot on the
    back as these lens boards are about 4mm thick cast aluminium with precision machined flat corners to accurately locate the
    lens board to camera frame. Camera precision and alignment is important due to the focal length and film size involved to
    assure uniform and proper lens focus on the entire film area.

Name:	480mm Xenar, Sinar board front..jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	215717

Bernice