Thread: Copal 3s to Copal 3 adapter

Copal 3s to Copal 3 adapter

Hi all,

i have some lens cells that fit a Copal 3s but have only Copal 3 size shutters. Who makes adapter rings for Copal 3s to Copal 3 conversion, except Grimes perhaps ?
    I'm unable to find such a thing online. On the other hand, one of my size 3 shutters has such a ring (58 to 56mm) in the front, so it is something that exists.

br,
    rado

Re: Copal 3s to Copal 3 adapter

Adapter rings from SKGRIMES.COM was $75 for a bigger ring. It might be cheaper to buy a 250mm Fujinon-SF than the $150 for two. Please check it actually is 3S on that lens before ordering.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

I contacted skgrimes about the same adapter ring since I want to mount a a lens that fits a 3s on a cobal-3 shutter. They quoted $80.00 plus shipping for a black anodized adapter with a 7 week lead time.
    Also a warning “This bushing will have a very thin wall thickness (.625mm at most) and will be prone to warping if compressed on the sides”.
    They suggested i could send in the lens and shutter for them to do the install or they would just send the adapter but only guarantee it meets the copal-3 3s threading spec’s.
    I haven’t decided which way to go.

Isn't the Symmar 210 Convertible in a 3s?

custom work is too expensive. imo there must have been some mass produced adapters ?

Quote Originally Posted by seven View Post
    custom work is too expensive. imo there must have been some mass produced adapters ?
    In my opinion, the S.K. Grimes prices mentioned are bargains for the custom work described.

There were likely no mass produced adapters because at the time this equipment was common, one could simply (and relatively inexpensively) obtain the correct shutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    In my opinion, the S.K. Grimes prices mentioned are bargains for the custom work described.
    ++1!

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Walden View Post
    Isn't the Symmar 210 Convertible in a 3s?
    No the 210mm is much smaller , the thread of the shutter/lens is about 15mm narrower . On their website it was listed as a I+1 .
    Likewise the Symmar 240mm uses a different size ( neither a 3 nor 3s ) and the Symmar 300mm uses a Copal 3 .