Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crown Graphic age (camera vs focusing panel)

Crown Graphic age (camera vs focusing panel)

I'm trying to research my dad's Crown Graphic Special (with Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 135mm f/4.7 lens). Judging from online serial number records, I think [edited] the camera and lens date to about 1968. The camera and lens are both in excellent shape (very little wear), while the ground glass focusing panel has noticeable signs of use and aging (the black paint on the side tabs is worn, there are white oxidation spots on the inside frame, and the hood has some rub marks on the back). Is this difference in wear normal, given that the panel would probably be subject to the most handling (film holders being moved in and out, face pressed to the back of the hood, etc.)? Or is it possible that the focusing panel is not the one that originally came with the camera? If it's of any significance, the focusing panel is marked "Graflex General Precision" in red on the inside of the hood and has the number "2 (DJ) 31915" embossed on the side frame.

Thanks for any insights.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crown-graphic-4x5-camera-02.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	215648

Name:	crown-graphic-4x5-camera-11.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	215649

Name:	crown-graphic-4x5-camera-12.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	215650

Name:	crown-graphic-4x5-camera-18.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	215651

Re: Crown Graphic age (camera vs focusing panel)

The focusing panel's number is most likely a casting number.

The camera's serial number should be on a plate on the inside of the front door. If it was made as late as you believe, the available records from Graflex Inc. (the non-book) won't have its serial number.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    The focusing panel's number is most likely a casting number.
    That makes sense. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    The camera's serial number should be on a plate on the inside of the front door. If it was made as late as you believe, the available records from Graflex Inc. (the non-book) won't have its serial number.
    Yes, my serial # is on the plate inside the front door. I used the site http://graflex.coffsbiz.com/serials.html as my reference. (I understand that these records might not be accurate, but it's the best source I could find). And actually, looking at the site again, my camera is closer to the 1968 serial #, which is consistent with the lens serial #, so perhaps 1968 is an accurate date.

In any case, regardless of the actual year, what do you think of my question? (Difference in wear pattern between camera and focusing panel). Is it normal? Or were these cameras sometimes sold on the used market with "mix and match" parts?

Small town, South Carolina, US

I would say that it is in the realm of possibility. It is the correct back for the camera. Yes, these parts can be are sometimes mixed between cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by rfesk View Post
    I would say that it is in the realm of possibility. It is the correct back for the camera. Yes, these parts can be are sometimes mixed between cameras.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking the safest answer is to say it's inconclusive (it could be "normal wear" to the original part or it could be an older part).

Another clue I just discovered: The case has a hand-written number on it. The number appears to be a serial number from a different Crown camera (circa 1970) which suggests he bought the camera/case from a second-hand Graflex reseller who mixed/matched panels and cameras from available parts.
    Last edited by syncrasy; 9-May-2021 at 07:45.

i wouldn't expect to see that much wear on the gg from loading film holders and barely a mark on the leatherette along the rear edge that would have gotten just as much abuse if the gg were original. if the rest of the back behind the gg isn't as beat up, the gg probably got swapped out at some point.

Thanks for the reply. I'm attaching a few more photos taken at different angles (for what it's worth). Fortunately, I think the GG/Focus panel issues are cosmetic, not functional.

Name:	crown-graphic-4x5-camera-15.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	215677

Name:	crown-graphic-4x5-camera-20.jpg 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	215678

Name:	crown-graphic-4x5-camera-33.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	215679

Name:	crown-graphic-4x5-camera-36.jpg 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	215680

My guess would be it came with the "spring back", and someone found a used graflok back and swapped them out.

Quote Originally Posted by grat View Post
    My guess would be it came with the "spring back", and someone found a used graflok back and swapped them out.
    The OP hasn't posted his camera's s/n yet. If it is in fact a late s/n then the camera was made when the Graflok back was standard. Graflex being Graflex, the camera could have been made to order with a spring back.

By the way, starting in 1960 the cameras were also stamped with a build code. I don't have the magic table needed to translate build code to date. Charles Monday, who posts as Shutterfinger, may have a copy.

The Crown serial number is #985823. (Circa 1968, based on the web site cited above.)

The Schneider lens serial number is #10875928. (Circa 1968, based on the web site http://licm.org.uk/livingImage/SchneiderNos.html.)

If these sites are authoritative, a 1968 year of manufacturer for both camera and lens seems likely.

Where would the build code be stamped?