Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front element chip: How bad is this?

Front element chip: How bad is this?

Received a damaged lens in the mail today. Sadly it is a 14" Pinkham Bi-Quality. The front element is chipped on the inside. How much do you think this chip will effect image quality? I would like to keep the lens if possible and get a partial refund from the seller after they file an insurance claim.

Re: Front element chip: How bad is this?

I expect that the two chips will give you major flare. If you can mount the lens on a camera with the sun just out of the frame, check the image on the ground glass.

I understand why you want to keep it. If you can open the lens, fill the chips with india ink and see whether this will improve the image.

Years ago I bought a set of 210/5.6 Fujinon cells. The lens had been dropped front down on some rocks and the front surface had deep gouges, the price reflected this. Filling the gouges with india ink made the lens very usable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    I expect that the two chips will give you major flare. If you can mount the lens on a camera with the sun just out of the frame, check the image on the ground glass.

I understand why you want to keep it. If you can open the lens, fill the chips with india ink and see whether this will improve the image.

Years ago I bought a set of 210/5.6 Fujinon cells. The lens had been dropped front down on some rocks and the front surface had deep gouges, the price reflected this. Filling the gouges with india ink made the lens very usable.
    Thank you for the quick reply. It is just 1 chip. The 3rd image just shows the piece of glass loose on the inside of the lens. I am making a lensboard for it now to test it out.

Isn't the idea with a lens like that to make blurry or low contrast pictures anyway?

Lachlan 717

Also will depend on format. The smaller the format, sans movements, the less the impact.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

The chipped piece can be re-cemented in place with Canada balsam or superglue, and not leave a shadow on film...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    The chipped piece can be re-cemented in place with Canada balsam or superglue, and not leave a shadow on film...

Steve K
    Thanks Steve! That would be good news. Know anyone who could do this repair?

Eric Woodbury

Test it as-is. Then cover the chips w 3M opaque photo tape and try again.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

My guess is that you would be pressed to see any artifacts and degradation in most situations. Shoot into the sun and there would perhaps be some flare and lowered contrast..

I submit a link to lens rentals blog post with some examples from a much worse damaged lens.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/200...ent-scratches/

But test and see how it looks.

You haven’t mentioned the packaging of this lens! I hope you have taken some photographs of it. This kind of damage can only be caused by a very solid impact with no cushioning around the lens.
    Unless you paid well under the going rate for this lens, you will loose about half your investment in a resale. I realise that this is a “dream” acquisition, but you must think rationally!

This edge flake is not a clean break. There are lots of peaks, valleys and small cracks and semi loose pieces on the surfaces and doubt that a glueing of the flake is advisable. There will also be a lot of very small debris glass “dust” around. Painting the rough surface with India ink/mat paint has always worked for me.