Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Always go for the light stand with the heaviest weight rating?

Re: Always go for the light stand with the heaviest weight rating?

There are light stands strong enough to hold heavy heads, but one big problem is when stand is too light and extended, one bump or when outdoors in a breeze, stand will like to topple over crashing head... C-stands are heavier, and tend to resist this more... But are more bulky while transporting... And the articulating arm(s) can be used as short booms with head off-center if well weighted...

So a good choice if you don't mind carrying them around...

Steve K

I had access to borrow, 1K and 2K traditional hot lights, focusable fresnel, really heavy stands on wheels

My movie buddies have a pile

Way too HOT for anything I will do in my studio

I wrote here about those some years ago

I also have 4 theatre lighting hot cans, with safety cables also focusable, $20 for the lot, not stolen

One of these days I will convert them to high power LED

I only shoot color with iPhone and often convert to B&W, so my needs are less

As hobbyist I don't write off my tools

Pros do

I also sell no art, I give it away

I live on a very low budget by cutting all frill

yet all my imaging gear is wonderful
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by MarsZhukov View Post
    If you are on the go and know you won't be exposed to the elements, a lighter kit is sometimes desirable. Imagine shooting corporate headshots with a single softlight, as a for instance.
    Do you mean that the C Stands are a bit lighter? (The roller I'm looking at seems to be quite a bit heavier than the C Stands on the same site. https://www.thomannmusic.ch/manfrott...6_low_base.htm. Although this is also really expensive, so I am wondering if it is overkill)
    Instagram username: @AlmosLataan

My Website

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    There are light stands strong enough to hold heavy heads, but one big problem is when stand is too light and extended, one bump or when outdoors in a breeze, stand will like to topple over crashing head... C-stands are heavier, and tend to resist this more... But are more bulky while transporting... And the articulating arm(s) can be used as short booms with head off-center if well weighted...

So a good choice if you don't mind carrying them around...

Steve K
    I would be sticking to studio in the main, so I don't mind about weight or bulk. Although, like I mentioned in another comment, the Avenger Roller 36 that I originally linked to seems to be quite heavy itself, at 13.6kg, and holding 40kg. This seems to be heavier and hold more than the C-Stand offerings.

My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post

I live on a very low budget by cutting all frill

yet all my imaging gear is wonderful
    Ideally, this is what I'd like to do as well.

My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Brand biased preference would be Matthews Studio Equipment. They have been supplying lighting stands and all sorts of lighting/grip stuff to the cinema industry for decades. Proven durability, reliable and does what it needs to do. Check for a local distribution in the EU/CH.

https://www.msegrip.com/

Bernice
    As with Avenger, there are limited suppliers of Matthews equipment in Switzerland it seems. I can find a couple of C-Stands, but no rollers

My Website

Possible for that distributor to special order rollers or make something?

Oh, consider sand bagging the light stand legs. This will add stability to the light stand with lighting unit. If one of these lighting units tips over.. It will ruin a lot more than just that day.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by MilamBardo View Post
    As with Avenger, there are limited suppliers of Matthews equipment in Switzerland it seems. I can find a couple of C-Stands, but no rollers

Another option, Wall Booms https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...rch=yes&sts=ma

They work well with my Einsteins and Pack Heads. I use heavy duty fasteners that I install

I almost bought a used over head system from a member here, at that moment I could not get to it.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...il_System.html

I bought nearly all my studio gear used, I really like my backdrop roller system with autopoles

I also use 4 NIKON SB800 speedlights as remotes in many ways

Autopoles and a cross bar https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...poles_kit.html

I made 2 V-Cards from four sheets 4X8' 1 white coroplast and 1 from black foam core

I use my 'living room' for photo studio, no sofas and everything folds
    Tin Can

I have used these on location https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...lighting-truss

If your studio is permanent, anything can be done or made
    Tin Can

Yes, traditionally in the movie industry c-standards aren't use for lights. Why? Because the legs spread is smaller than with a traditional light stand. I worked in a big photo studio. (Housing sets were built inside the various studios.) C-stands were lined up along one wall in each of the bays. They nest very well standing up. To get to the light stands, you'd have to go to the equipment room. So, I expect that in that type of studio, c=stands were used more because they were quicker to grab, and they worked fine for most things. They were always sand bagged, the cables were wired appropriately and covered with mats or tapped to the floor.... There were two junior rolling boom stands in each of the big bays, and these were used whenever a light had to go up higher than about 10 feet. (One bay had a huge ceiling soft light system. This was used for photographing cars, motorcycles......

So I have 15 years experience working as an assistant at various big studios. I do prefer Matthews, but Kupo, American Grip, Avenger (i.e Manfrotto) and others makes some good products. Kupo grip arms with the faceted (no spin) ends are very nice.

Now for light stands....I really prefer ones that have regular, full-sized baby studs. Some of mine don't. You can buy brass adapters that go from 3/16 threads to a baby stud. I've mounted them on the stands with thread lock. I don't like air cushioning. I'd rather just have good fixtures.

When I had my own small studio, I used a Manfrotto rolling junior stand with an adapter to go from a Junior receiver to 3/8th. I mounted a ball head, and used it as a replacement for a studio stand when I used a dslr. It worked great.

My favorite 'kit' stands were old Lowel ones. They were steel. They had real baby studs. They packed compactly, and they were tough. We had Mathews c-stands but not kit stands. I'm sure they're fine.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know