Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 60

Thread: Always go for the light stand with the heaviest weight rating?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    68

    Always go for the light stand with the heaviest weight rating?

    Hi,

    I've recently decided to get back into Large Format, and would like to take still lifes. I invested in a strobe (Elinchrom Style rx1200), but was appalled at how heavy it was (weight 3,45kg). "Now I would have to buy an appallingly heavy light stand", I thought.

    However, I'm struggling in Switzerland. There doesn't appear to be much, if any, choice in the used market, and I'm struggling in the new market as well.

    I've had conflicting advice on what I should be looking for. Some have said to go for the heaviest weight rating that I can afford. Is this good advice?

    I know I need steel, and I am looking at two different tripods:

    https://www.manfrotto-shop.ch/conten...ch/p18152.html

    and

    https://www.thomannmusic.ch/manfrott...6_low_base.htm

    Should I be going for the Avenger since it has the highest load capacity? Or am I overdoing it for a 3.5kg strobe? I know I may want to boom at some point too.

    Also, anything else I should be looking out for?

  2. #2
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    17,779

    Re: Always go for the light stand with the heaviest weight rating?

    I have 3 Avenger C-Stands and use sandbags

    I bought 3 different styles to gain maximum flexibility

    Love and use them often

    https://www.thomannmusic.ch/manfrott...achable_bk.htm

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    68

    Re: Always go for the light stand with the heaviest weight rating?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I have 3 Avenger C-Stands and use sandbags

    I bought 3 different styles to gain maximum flexibility

    Love and use them often

    https://www.thomannmusic.ch/manfrott...achable_bk.htm
    Do you use the C-Stands for your strobes? Or do you just mean that Avenger is a good brand to go with?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Forest Grove, Ore.
    Posts
    4,027

    Re: Always go for the light stand with the heaviest weight rating?

    You might consider strobes with a power pack, versus mono-lights.

    Anymore, they're dinosaurs, so they don't cost much. The heads are light-weight, so no heed for heavy light stands. They're also more powerful than mono-lights. The "inconvenience" of the power cords shouldn't be too much of a problem, since you'll be working in a studio environment.

    If you consider this, Dynalites might be a good way to go. They have arcing protection, and they're compact. There's also an array of accessories that were made for them.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    68

    Re: Always go for the light stand with the heaviest weight rating?

    Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    You might consider strobes with a power pack, versus mono-lights.

    Anymore, they're dinosaurs, so they don't cost much. The heads are light-weight, so no heed for heavy light stands. They're also more powerful than mono-lights. The "inconvenience" of the power cords shouldn't be too much of a problem, since you'll be working in a studio environment.

    If you consider this, Dynalites might be a good way to go. They have arcing protection, and they're compact. There's also an array of accessories that were made for them.
    I did consider used power packs, but I was scared of their potential for going wrong. And I can't afford new. I managed to pick up the Elinchrom for 170 francs, which I felt was quite a good deal. Plus, I won't be able to pickup Dynalites in Switzerland I don't think. I think it's mainly Elinchrom and Broncolor.

  6. #6
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    17,779

    Re: Always go for the light stand with the heaviest weight rating?

    I use them daily with my 4 Paul C Buff Einsteins, right now one for macro Polaroid with a giant soft umbrella

    I also have LED panels bought long ago

    I use adapters for camera mounting and 2 booms

    B&H ships big sandbags filled for 'free'

    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...e_C_Stand.html

    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...dbag_35lb.html

    Quote Originally Posted by MilamBardo View Post
    Do you use the C-Stands for your strobes? Or do you just mean that Avenger is a good brand to go with?

  7. #7
    Pieter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    435

    Re: Always go for the light stand with the heaviest weight rating?

    C Stands are pretty versatile in the studio, I use them with a boom and Hensel heads and monolights. Don't forget to use a couple of sand bags over the legs, otherwise you're asking for trouble. And a counter-weight for the boom when you use one. Another point, be careful when lowering the lights on the stand. A harsh impact as the sections telescope can break the modeling light filament, even the flash tube. As far as folding stands, Matthews are good (I don't know if you can find them in Europe) and I would think there are heavy-duty Manfrotto stands as well.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    68

    Re: Always go for the light stand with the heaviest weight rating?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    C Stands are pretty versatile in the studio, I use them with a boom and Hensel heads and monolights. Don't forget to use a couple of sand bags over the legs, otherwise you're asking for trouble. And a counter-weight for the boom when you use one. Another point, be careful when lowering the lights on the stand. A harsh impact as the sections telescope can break the modeling light filament, even the flash tube. As far as folding stands, Matthews are good (I don't know if you can find them in Europe) and I would think there are heavy-duty Manfrotto stands as well.
    I must say, I'm surprised that people are using C-Stands. I thought that they were mainly for holding things through grippers - didn't realise people were using them for booms. With this being the case, what is the argument for using a normal light stand over a C-Stand?

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    16

    Re: Always go for the light stand with the heaviest weight rating?

    Quote Originally Posted by MilamBardo View Post
    With this being the case, what is the argument for using a normal light stand over a C-Stand?
    If you are on the go and know you won't be exposed to the elements, a lighter kit is sometimes desirable. Imagine shooting corporate headshots with a single softlight, as a for instance.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,704

    Re: Always go for the light stand with the heaviest weight rating?

    Brand biased preference would be Matthews Studio Equipment. They have been supplying lighting stands and all sorts of lighting/grip stuff to the cinema industry for decades. Proven durability, reliable and does what it needs to do. Check for a local distribution in the EU/CH.

    https://www.msegrip.com/



    Bernice

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 4-Nov-2020, 09:32
  2. tripod weight rating?
    By xtmevolution in forum Gear
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 29-May-2017, 03:55
  3. Light weight 4X5
    By 12pmc in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-Aug-2015, 12:58
  4. light weight 5x7
    By Bruce Watson in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 6-Oct-2009, 17:43
  5. Camera weight vs. Tripod/Accessories weight...Light field Camera enthusiasts help?
    By audioexcels in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 20-Jun-2007, 19:01

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •