Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 60

Thread: Always go for the light stand with the heaviest weight rating?

  1. #41

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    188

    Re: Always go for the light stand with the heaviest weight rating?

    I’m assuming thomann.de delivers to Switzerland?

    They have the black C-stand with boom arm in stock

    Or if you find a basic light stand locally you could just buy the extension arm from them for versatility.

    I gotta say I’m surprised you can’t find a basic light stand used in Switzerland. There’s a bunch of amateur photographers down there.
    "I am a reflection photographing other reflections within a reflection. To photograph reality is to photograph nothing." Duane Michals

  2. #42

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    68

    Re: Always go for the light stand with the heaviest weight rating?

    Thanks, everyone. So looks like can use a counterweight or sandbags on a normal light stand. What was confusing me was that I had seen a customer review saying that it wasn't possible to sandbag the 126bsu/csu. Clearly they were wrong.

  3. #43

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    68

    Re: Always go for the light stand with the heaviest weight rating?

    Quote Originally Posted by lenicolas View Post
    I’m assuming thomann.de delivers to Switzerland?

    They have the black C-stand with boom arm in stock

    Or if you find a basic light stand locally you could just buy the extension arm from them for versatility.

    I gotta say I’m surprised you can’t find a basic light stand used in Switzerland. There’s a bunch of amateur photographers down there.
    Yes, I've been checking the used auction site out here, and not much comes up. There were some broncolor senior stands, but I didn't think that the load capacity was enough.

    Also, the Avenger you linked only has 10kg load capacity, so not sure it would be enough? My strobe is 3.5kg, and I might want to boom at some point. But, certainly I will keep it in mind as I'm thinking I'll need a C Stand as well.

  4. #44

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    68

    Re: Always go for the light stand with the heaviest weight rating?

    Quote Originally Posted by lenicolas View Post
    I’m assuming thomann.de delivers to Switzerland?

    They have the black C-stand with boom arm in stock

    Or if you find a basic light stand locally you could just buy the extension arm from them for versatility.

    I gotta say I’m surprised you can’t find a basic light stand used in Switzerland. There’s a bunch of amateur photographers down there.
    Okay, your comment got me searching on the auction site. I've not been able to find anything recent, but I have found what looks like a much older stand. I think it looks like steel, so should be able to carry a 3.5kg strobe. And it is going cheap so far, so would be ideal.

    The only problem is I can't figure out what the connector is - it looks huge. Will this work with a strobe do you think? Do I need an adaptor?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ancientstand2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	215730
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ancientstand1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	215731

  5. #45
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    16,625

    Re: Always go for the light stand with the heaviest weight rating?

    Yes

    Quote Originally Posted by MilamBardo View Post
    Okay, your comment got me searching on the auction site. I've not been able to find anything recent, but I have found what looks like a much older stand. I think it looks like steel, so should be able to carry a 3.5kg strobe. And it is going cheap so far, so would be ideal.

    The only problem is I can't figure out what the connector is - it looks huge. Will this work with a strobe do you think? Do I need an adaptor?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ancientstand2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	215730
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ancientstand1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	215731
    2022

  6. #46

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    68

    Re: Always go for the light stand with the heaviest weight rating?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Yes
    Do you mean I need an adapter?

  7. #47
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    16,625

    Re: Always go for the light stand with the heaviest weight rating?

    https://www.mole.com/adapters-spuds

    Maybe


    Quote Originally Posted by MilamBardo View Post
    Do you mean I need an adapter?
    2022

  8. #48
    Peter De Smidt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Fond du Lac, WI, USA
    Posts
    7,820

    Re: Always go for the light stand with the heaviest weight rating?

    Regarding an adapter, it depends on your fixture. Pro gear uses 5/8 baby studs.

    They look like this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...xoCOrIQAvD_BwE

    That's what's on the top of c-stands, for example.

    Some studs, though, look like this: https://www.manfrotto.com/nl-en/ligh...ud-1-4-036-14/

    Pro fixtures will fit on the newer stud, but they will often fit at an angle.

    So the used light stand you showed had the newer one. It may work with your gear just fine, but if not, there's an adapter: https://www.adorama.com/fpxsp05.html...D,type:keyword

    That's not the one I use. Mine has a longer lip at the top. I Googled a bit but couldn't find it. If you have problems, I can spend more time looking. The difference is the length of the top lip. Compare the photo in the first link to the later ones. Basically, a baby stud is a 5/8" diameter rod with a narrower dimension area for a screw. The difference is the length of the top 5/8" section "above" the notch. Traditional studs this is about a centimeter long. On the newer ones, it can be 1/4th of that.

    This fixture has the the pro-style on one end, and the newer style on the other: https://www.impactstudiolighting.com...39;_20-Threads
    May tomorrow be a better day.

  9. #49
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    16,625

    Re: Always go for the light stand with the heaviest weight rating?

    baby stud wall mounts

    I have 3 screwed to my walls, cheap new, very strong

    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._pin_wall.html
    2022

  10. #50

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    68

    Re: Always go for the light stand with the heaviest weight rating?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Regarding an adapter, it depends on your fixture. Pro gear uses 5/8 baby studs.

    They look like this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...xoCOrIQAvD_BwE

    That's what's on the top of c-stands, for example.

    Some studs, though, look like this: https://www.manfrotto.com/nl-en/ligh...ud-1-4-036-14/

    Pro fixtures will fit on the newer stud, but they will often fit at an angle.

    So the used light stand you showed had the newer one. It may work with your gear just fine, but if not, there's an adapter: https://www.adorama.com/fpxsp05.html...D,type:keyword

    That's not the one I use. Mine has a longer lip at the top. I Googled a bit but couldn't find it. If you have problems, I can spend more time looking. The difference is the length of the top lip. Compare the photo in the first link to the later ones. Basically, a baby stud is a 5/8" diameter rod with a narrower dimension area for a screw. The difference is the length of the top 5/8" section "above" the notch. Traditional studs this is about a centimeter long. On the newer ones, it can be 1/4th of that.

    This fixture has the the pro-style on one end, and the newer style on the other: https://www.impactstudiolighting.com...39;_20-Threads
    Thanks for your help on this.

    Yes, I can see what you mean about the lip being bigger in the first link. I'll have a look about and see if I can see the one I would need.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 4-Nov-2020, 09:32
  2. tripod weight rating?
    By xtmevolution in forum Gear
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 29-May-2017, 03:55
  3. Light weight 4X5
    By 12pmc in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-Aug-2015, 12:58
  4. light weight 5x7
    By Bruce Watson in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 6-Oct-2009, 17:43
  5. Camera weight vs. Tripod/Accessories weight...Light field Camera enthusiasts help?
    By audioexcels in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 20-Jun-2007, 19:01

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •