Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Always go for the light stand with the heaviest weight rating?

Re: Always go for the light stand with the heaviest weight rating?

Okay, so I took a portrait of my pregnant wife just using alluminium stands. I had two manfrotto 004's, which I used to hold an elinchrom Rx style 1200 and 300.

I wasn't happy using the lighter stands, but they held up. Financially, it was the only option. And I was pleased with the result for a first studio lighting shot, especially considering the light meter I bought turned out to be broken.

However, I'm terrified of trying to shoot our 8 month baby with those same stands. Can just see myself kicking one over. So will need to wait a while and bring in the heavies I think!
    Last edited by MilamBardo; 24-Sep-2022 at 23:43. Reason: Spelling
    Instagram username: @AlmosLataan

My Website

Sandbags should always be used

I love buying filled sand bags from B&H with free shipping!

Then buy C-Stands and still use sand bags

another solution is wall mount

Manfrotto 098B Wall Mounting Boom Arm, Black - 47.2-82.6" (1.2-2.1m)

I bought 4 for $80 10 years ago

I use long lag bolts into real wood
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Sandbags should always be used

I love buying filled sand bags from B&H with free shipping!

Then buy C-Stands and still use sand bags

another solution is wall mount

Manfrotto 098B Wall Mounting Boom Arm, Black - 47.2-82.6" (1.2-2.1m)

I bought 4 for $80 10 years ago

I use long lag bolts into real wood
    Yes, I wasn't even using sand bags, which was pretty stupid. Question, though, is it ok to be using sand bags on aluminium stands? For instance, would the weight rating of the stand go down?

(Also, C-stands are nigh on impossible to get on the used market here, as are any steel stands)

My Website

Over the years, I used several lighting set ups; however, the best system for me was using Quantum flashes with Pocket Wizards. No cords to trip over, light weight stand used and with the pocket wizards, easy set up if using on location, easy of moving the lights until I got the pattern I wanted. Initial investment in Quantum’s is high compared to some but I found well worth it. I used the flashes at low power, still consistent temp of light and the batteries last for several hundred shots.

Setting up lighting stands.. Stands should be used depending on need. Note the stand's footing orientation releative to loads placed on the stand.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2kdxPmcqyU

Recently purchase a few Neewer stainless steel C-stands, surprised at how good they are for their cost. Been using them with a Mathews mini boom for Elinchrom flash heads and everything from a 27" dia beauty dish to 180cm Plume wafer octo soft box with good stability. Appears Neewer has distribution in the EU:
    https://eu.neewer.com/products/neewe...4cdc18c2&_ss=r

As for the current variety of battery powered cordless/wireless flash units, depends on lighting needs and lighting modifiers needed. Majority of digital images do not need whopping flash power. This is why most of these cordless/wireless flash units have about 100 watt/seconds of strobe power. Even with a modest light modifier and flash to subject distances this is often enough to achieve about f8 or less, enough for portrait images with these exposure apertures. Once in to sheet film and smaller exposure apertures that 100 watt/seconds will never do. Strobe power needs rapidly grows to 1000 watt/seconds and much more.

Lighting, light modifiers drives ligh stands as needed. For a small battery powered strobe unit, a small tripod light stand will easily do. With a 8000 watt/second flash head and BIG light modifier using nothing less than a stout light stand, proper sand bagging and all becomes a must.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Setting up lighting stands.. Stands should be used depending on need. Note the stand's footing orientation releative to loads placed on the stand.

Recently purchase a few Neewer stainless steel C-stands, surprised at how good they are for their cost. Been using them with a Mathews mini boom for Elinchrom flash heads and everything from a 27" dia beauty dish to 180cm Plume wafer octo soft box with good stability. Appears Neewer has distribution in the EU:

As for the current variety of battery powered cordless/wireless flash units, depends on lighting needs and lighting modifiers needed. Majority of digital images do not need whopping flash power. This is why most of these cordless/wireless flash units have about 100 watt/seconds of strobe power. Even with a modest light modifier and flash to subject distances this is often enough to achieve about f8 or less, enough for portrait images with these exposure apertures. Once in to sheet film and smaller exposure apertures that 100 watt/seconds will never do. Strobe power needs rapidly grows to 1000 watt/seconds and much more.

Lighting, light modifiers drives ligh stands as needed. For a small battery powered strobe unit, a small tripod light stand will easily do. With a 8000 watt/second flash head and BIG light modifier using nothing less than a stout light stand, proper sand bagging and all becomes a must.

Bernice
    Also available thru Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Adjust...ci_mcx_mi&th=1

I believe Neewer is a Chinese company.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post

Bernice
    Thanks - I'll check Neewer out. Some affordable C-Stands would be nice. I have a while yet anyway, as I haven't thought of a new picture yet.

Once again, thanks to everyone for being so helpful.

My Website