Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Which would be easier to build - 8x10 SLR or TLR?

Re: Which would be easier to build - 8x10 SLR or TLR?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Thanks for bringing this up. Another solution would be mounting a beam-splitter in front of the lens, with a telescope etc. for focusing. Much like a cine lens with a dog leg viewfinder. This has the advantages of continuous viewing and requiring only a small (relative to the format's size) mirror.
    Ah yes, after I posted I got to thinking that the beam splitter would have to be thin to minimize optical effects but a large thin mirror would probably sag or warp. and a small mirror is probably much more available in stock from some suppliers.

Ummmm.....what exactly are the advantages of either over a gg back, especially in a studio?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Ummmm.....what exactly are the advantages of either over a gg back, especially in a studio?
    Fair question. I don't understand why the OP is obsessed with trying to improve on technology that's been under continuous development since the 1850s. He doesn't seem to be aware of studio photographers' best practices. And he seems to have joined the wet plate cult. Wet plate was completely replaced by dry plate, which in turn was replaced for nearly applications by film. There have to have been reasons.

Hey John Kasaian, Thanks for your question.

I feel the question could be answered with a question. Why does a full frame DSLR have a viewfinder? Even in the studio you would use the view finder or LCD screen.

I think being able to see exactly what the camera sees could make things work more smoothly in terms of flow.
    And with a reflex viewer it would be even better.

Being able to focus closely before exposure would be great. Yes, there are those head stand designs from the 1800s but I'm not here to make mug shots/passport photos. The poses I will attempt you
    wouldn't be able to hide the head stand.

~~~

Thanks Dan for your comment.
    I'll look into these best practices as you mentioned hehe
    If you have any more advice or opinions that are constructive please share

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    If one is willing to give up the requirement of moving the mirror automatically as part of the shutter release action, and is willing instead to flip the mirror out of the way manually and then make the exposure separately, it becomes a closer call as far as mechanical complexity.

Whether that makes sense depends on what problem one is trying to solve by going to a reflex design.
    How about a pellicle mirror? You'd give up a stop or so of light, but you wouldn't need to move it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Tilden View Post
    How about a pellicle mirror? You'd give up a stop or so of light, but you wouldn't need to move it.
    On the subject of pellicle mirrors.. apparently Saran wrap "works ok"? Maybe this would be your cheap 8x10 SLR solution.

Thanks Plywood, Robert and domaz.

Interesting engineering solutions!
    Thanks.

When I get my mono rail camera (I only have a field camera) and start playing around.
    I'll think about these solutions!

Enjoy the new week y'all

Google Peter Gowland and have a look at his 8x10 TLR.

From his web site:

8X10 GOWLANDFLEX: "The famous 8x10 Gowlandflex, shown above and affectionately known as "The Beast" was nearly three feet tall. It was not very practical for most kinds of shooting. Seven were made and sold."

Bob

Thanks Bob Maxey

Maybe one day I will be able to afford/find one.

Or maybe I will still make one one day!

Take care

On the back of most view cameras there will be a ground-glass. You can see your sitter in that device and position them appropriately, if necessary mark the floor and tell them not to run away from the mark. With a small amount of practice, 'reading' an upside down and sideways image isn't a problem.

Set up the aperture, shutter and film-holder then wait with cable-release in hand for the right moment. If you want to move the camera as a subject moves, consider a wireframe viewfinder and pre-focus (as used with press-cameras).

I can't help thinking that you are effectively looking for a non-existent problem to solve with an unusable solution. It may well be fun to build a TLR, but using it wouldn't achieve much that hasn't already been solved by simpler means.