Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 72

Thread: Which would be easier to build - 8x10 SLR or TLR?

  1. #11

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    98

    Re: Which would be easier to build - 8x10 SLR or TLR?

    Hey everyone,

    So, I keep seeing the sinar tlr from Glennview.
    Does anyone know what would be an 8x10 camera that is similar to the sinar that has the 4 tubes holding up the front and rear standards?
    http://glennview.com/sinarTLR.htm


    ~~~~~~~~

    Hello grat, yes, I think it would be nice to be able to focus, compose, and see the subject (facial expression and pose) right to the end.
    Thanks for the reply
    ~~~

    Thanks for input Nodda and Oren

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    111

    Re: Which would be easier to build - 8x10 SLR or TLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by Qeb View Post
    Hey everyone,

    So, I keep seeing the sinar tlr from Glennview.
    Does anyone know what would be an 8x10 camera that is similar to the sinar that has the 4 tubes holding up the front and rear standards?
    http://glennview.com/sinarTLR.htm



    ~~~~~~~~

    Hello grat, yes, I think it would be nice to be able to focus, compose, and see the subject (facial expression and pose) right to the end.
    Thanks for the reply
    ~~~

    Thanks for input Nodda and Oren

    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ighlight=norma

  3. #13
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    7,884

    Re: Which would be easier to build - 8x10 SLR or TLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by Qeb View Post
    Does anyone know what would be an 8x10 camera that is similar to the sinar that has the 4 tubes holding up the front and rear standards?
    I think you'd have to fabricate extended risers for the front and rear standards so that you could build one for yourself.

  4. #14
    Nodda Duma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Brookline, NH
    Posts
    1,051

    Re: Which would be easier to build - 8x10 SLR or TLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Don't need a diagonal roof prism. Look down on the viewing glass on top of the camera, as with a Graflex.
    Fine fine. But a roof prism for it would be glorious
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Seattle area, WA
    Posts
    969

    Re: Which would be easier to build - 8x10 SLR or TLR?

    It's 2021 maybe think of a more modern viewfinder. One solution for a heads-up viewfinder that wouldn't require much weight is a small digital camera pointed at the ground glass. Digital processing could easily reverse the ground glass for you and project the image to your phone you could have mounted on the camera. An Electronic Viewfinder for 8x10.. why not?

    Here's a related example, a photographer simply taking pictures of a LF ground glass, which is a neat idea but has a lot of limitations for actually taking a photograph IMO (great for viewing though).

  6. #16
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    7,884

    Re: Which would be easier to build - 8x10 SLR or TLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    Fine fine. But a roof prism for it would be glorious
    Aye!

  7. #17
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    16,811

    Re: Which would be easier to build - 8x10 SLR or TLR?

    out damned spot

    and yes my hands are bloody

    been there done that

    Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    It's 2021 maybe think of a more modern viewfinder. One solution for a heads-up viewfinder that wouldn't require much weight is a small digital camera pointed at the ground glass. Digital processing could easily reverse the ground glass for you and project the image to your phone you could have mounted on the camera. An Electronic Viewfinder for 8x10.. why not?

    Here's a related example, a photographer simply taking pictures of a LF ground glass, which is a neat idea but has a lot of limitations for actually taking a photograph IMO (great for viewing though).
    Images vastly preferred

    not game trying to


    focus


    In Time

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2

    Re: Which would be easier to build - 8x10 SLR or TLR?

    Neither is going to be easy. The mirror fabrication and mirror alignment are going to be very difficult. I built a 30x40" camera with a reflex mirror about 20 years ago as a university project with my students. Very difficult to pull off. Even with CNC tools and CAD you are looking at some serious engineering.
    I would really consider another option.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    111

    Re: Which would be easier to build - 8x10 SLR or TLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by Qeb View Post
    Hey everyone,

    So, I keep seeing the sinar tlr from Glennview.
    Does anyone know what would be an 8x10 camera that is similar to the sinar that has the 4 tubes holding up the front and rear standards?
    http://glennview.com/sinarTLR.htm


    ~~~~~~~~

    Hello grat, yep, I think it would be nice to be able to focus, compose, and see the subject (facial expression and pose) right to the end.
    Thanks for the reply
    ~~~

    Thanks for input Nodda and Oren

    ~~~
    Same post as before. Is this a bot designed to work up people that love doing things the hard way? Is the plot of Terminator 2 starting and the inflection point is a sentient droid attempting to build an 8x10 TLR?

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    98

    Re: Which would be easier to build - 8x10 SLR or TLR?

    Thanks for the link joelio. I'm wondering if there is an 8x10 camera that uses rods to hold both rear and front standards in place like the Sinar example in the link.

    ~~~
    Thanks for another reply Oren Grad. I'm having a hard time visualizing what you mean.
    But I'm glad you have a solution in mind

    ~~~
    Thanks domaz. I was thinking even with a TLR setup maybe a digital sensor would be interesting in terms of work flow.
    Thanks for the idea tho

    ~~~

    Thanks for the reply Chris Mast.
    I'm just playing around with ideas.
    But the TLR seems the easiest.

    ~~~
    Thanks again everyone. Have a nice weekend!

Similar Threads

  1. build a portable 8x10 camera8x10
    By imanol legross in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 5-Jul-2019, 08:43
  2. New 8x10 camera build
    By Jim Fitzgerald in forum LF DIY (Do It Yourself)
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 10-Jun-2015, 18:12
  3. New Zealand 8x10 build
    By pmalsop in forum LF DIY (Do It Yourself)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 18-Feb-2013, 00:47

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •