Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodak No.36 12" Anastigmat 4.5 shutter mounting question.

Kodak No.36 12" Anastigmat 4.5 shutter mounting question.

I was curious if anyone has ever had one of these lenses mounted in a shutter. I have been looking for one forever since I love how my No. 33 Anastigmat looks and finally found a very nice deal on one that is in great condition, so I am hoping to have it mounted into a shutter. My understanding was that these lenses were supplied by Kodak either in barrel or mounted in an Ilex #5 Universal shutter (at least according to the Kodak Reference Handbook from 1946), but when I emailed SK Grimes to ask about more information they gave me a reasonable quote, but said their records showed them previously mounting it in a Betax #5. I have no reason to doubt them, but I also imagine that the Kodak Handbook is accurate as well. I would not care so much if I was just sending them the lens and having them mount it to whichever one fit, but since I have buy the shutter and send it in with the lens for mounting I would hate to buy the wrong one and ship them both only to find out that it doesn't work and be out time, shipping, and labor.

Any help or clarification would be appreciated.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Kodak No.36 12" Anastigmat 4.5 shutter mounting question.

I can’t answer the question... sorry. The Kodak Anastigmat is one of my favorite lenses, though. My suggestion is to contact a second opinion, and maybe a second source for the job to consider:

https://alphaxbetax.com/

@BrianShaw thanks. I came across them when I was looking into a BeTax #5 that SK Grimes recommended. I will send them an email and see if they happen to know which one will fit properly.

I had the 12" Anastigmat in a Compound shutter, looked great in that shutter!

Might be more cost effective to find a 12" f4.5 Kodak Ektar in Ilex# 5 than to do the mount barrel lens into shutter thing..

Bernice

@Ari what size compound was it? Im hoping to use something with flash sync, but depending knowing all my options would be good.

@Bernice I actually had the 12" 4.5 Ektar in an Ilex #5 and sold it a while ago. I had always heard great things about it and it came with a camera I bought a while ago, but I was never happy with it. Maybe it was personal preference or maybe I had a bad copy, but it never performed the way I had imagined it would. I had been looking for the 12" 4.5 Anastigmat forever and never thought I would actually find one. If I had known that I would and that it would need an Ilex #5 I probably would have kept the Ektar.

loujon

The Kodak No36 Anastigmat 12"f4.5 is the same Tessar Ic formula as the 12" f4.5 Ektar. What am I missing?

A quick follow up question. I know that some Ilex shutters, at least #5's, were made specifically for Kodak and that they were threaded and/or measured different than the non-kodak versions. If I get an Ilex #5 for Kodak will I even need to get it mounted by a professional, or would the lens just screw right into the shutter?

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post
    The Kodak No36 Anastigmat 12"f4.5 is the same Tessar Ic formula as the 12" f4.5 Ektar. What am I missing?

I don't know. I thought the same thing. I did not have the 12" No.36 Anastigmat to compare it directly to at the time, but the Ektar looked very different to me than my No.33 Anastigmat that I have on my Series D Graflex. The sharpness, contrast, and falloff looked very different to me. Maybe I had a bad copy or maybe it was all in my head. Either way I ended up selling the Ektar.

Compound# 5 shutters (would be needed for a 12" f4.5) are way under rated and appreciated. Long as the air cylinder is in GOOD condition, they work. X flash sync.

Owned (to this day) a 12" f4.5 Ektar for decades, it remains one of the all time faves. Possible the example used was made wrong in some way before it happened your way. What was un-desierable about the 12" f4.5 Ektar?

Kodak Ilex# 5 shutters have different thread sizes than the normal Ilex# 5 shutter. They are NOT interchangeable. Shutter opening diameter is the same.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by robertraymer View Post
    @Ari what size compound was it? Im hoping to use something with flash sync, but depending knowing all my options would be good.

@Bernice I actually had the 12" 4.5 Ektar in an Ilex #5 and sold it a while ago. I had always heard great things about it and it came with a camera I bought a while ago, but I was never happy with it. Maybe it was personal preference or maybe I had a bad copy, but it never performed the way I had imagined it would. I had been looking for the 12" 4.5 Anastigmat forever and never thought I would actually find one. If I had known that I would and that it would need an Ilex #5 I probably would have kept the Ektar.