Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kodak No.36 12" Anastigmat 4.5 shutter mounting question.

Re: Kodak No.36 12" Anastigmat 4.5 shutter mounting question.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Compound# 5 shutters (would be needed for a 12" f4.5) are way under rated and appreciated. Long as the air cylinder is in GOOD condition, they work. X flash sync.

Owned (to this day) a 12" f4.5 Ektar for decades, it remains one of the all time faves. Possible the example used was made wrong in some way before it happened your way. What was un-desierable about the 12" f4.5 Ektar?

Kodak Ilex# 5 shutters have different thread sizes than the normal Ilex# 5 shutter. They are NOT interchangeable. Shutter opening diameter is the same.

Bernice
    I know the Ilex and Kodak Ilex are not interchangeable. I was wondering more if I would be able to simply screw the No. 36 directly into a Kodak Ilex #5 myself without needing any modification or if I would still have to send it out to have someone mount it professionally as I would for a non-Kodak Ilex #5.

As for the Ektar I never found it as sharp or as contrasty as the Anastigmat, and the falloff from the in focus to out of focus areas did not seem as smooth. Like I said, I only had the No 33 to compare it to, but being the same formula I had imagined that the results would have been quite similar. It did not look "bad" by any means, I just preferred the Anastigmat.

Direct "screw in" from barrel to shutter will not happen. Not just threading, the lens cell spacing on these vintage lenses are often specific to the lens cell set. Having micrometer measured a number of Kodak Ektars and other, the cell spacing was never identical between same focal length lenses. The most apparent reason or this has to do with how these lenses were made back in the day. Each lens cell set was specifically calibrated and set to the lens barrel or shutter adapters during lens production and testing.

Seems the choice would be to get the Anastigmat mounted into a# 5 shutter or get something like a Sinar shutter, packard shutter, dropping guillotine shutter, Galli double sheet shutter or similar shutter on to the camera used. If the exposure is long enough, lens cap works too.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by robertraymer View Post
    I know the Ilex and Kodak Ilex are not interchangeable. I was wondering more if I would be able to simply screw the No. 36 directly into a Kodak Ilex #5 myself without needing any modification or if I would still have to send it out to have someone mount it professionally as I would for a non-Kodak Ilex #5.

As for the Ektar I never found it as sharp or as contrasty as the Anastigmat, and the falloff from the in focus to out of focus areas did not seem as smooth. Like I said, I only had the No 33 to compare it to, but being the same formula I had imagined that the results would have been quite similar. It did not look "bad" by any means, I just preferred the Anastigmat.

Having played with various versions of Wollensak's Velostigmat II lenses(both fitting in different shutters and barrel lens), and having both Kodak 12" F/4.5 Ektar and Anastigmat in different shutter, and non of them are interchangeable, I would say it's more than likely the barrel form will not simply screw into a No#5 shutter. It might be just easier, or more economical to look for the same lens in a shutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Direct "screw in" from barrel to shutter will not happen. Not just threading, the lens cell spacing on these vintage lenses are often specific to the lens cell set. Having micrometer measured a number of Kodak Ektars and other, the cell spacing was never identical between same focal length lenses. The most apparent reason or this has to do with how these lenses were made back in the day. Each lens cell set was specifically calibrated and set to the lens barrel or shutter adapters during lens production and testing.

Seems the choice would be to get the Anastigmat mounted into a# 5 shutter or get something like a Sinar shutter, packard shutter, dropping guillotine shutter, Galli double sheet shutter or similar shutter on to the camera used. If the exposure is long enough, lens cap works too.

Bernice
    Thanks for all the help. I assumed that it would require more than just screwing in, but Im glad I now know that for sure. Looks like its time to see which one of these options will work best and most economically for what I need.

In my experience, the Kodak Anastigmats are beautiful lenses, and extremely sharp when you want them to be. Well worth investing in.
    Here is a recent photograph made on home-made 5x7 dry plate (Foma emulsion, hand coated), using a 6&3/8" Kodak Anastigmat lens at f8.0.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    In my experience, the Kodak Anastigmats are beautiful lenses, and extremely sharp when you want them to be. Well worth investing in.
    Here is a recent photograph made on home-made 5x7 dry plate (Foma emulsion, hand coated), using a 6&3/8" Kodak Anastigmat lens at f8.0.
    Absolutely agree. One of my favorites. The reason I started this thread was that my No. 33 I often use with my Series D Graflex is one of my favorite portrait lenses, so much so that I have been looking for a No. 36 for the last 4 years or so to use on 8x10. I finally found one I was actually able to get my hands on and now Im Looking for a good way to mount it so I can use it on my Cambo.