Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Availability of Fujichrome Velvia 50, 4x5 sheet film

Availability of Fujichrome Velvia 50, 4x5 sheet film

Hi all,

I was looking for some Fujichrome Velvia 50, 4x5 sheet film.
    It's a very long time, probably 20 yrs, since I last purchased any.
    I was shocked to see the price of it now!!!
    Can anyone recommend a good, current source for it?
    Thank you in advance.
    Regards,

Derek

Re: Fujichrome Velvia 50, 4x5 sheet film

Check with Kumar (search for him on these boards) and see if he's still handling it. Or, you might be able to buy it directly from Amazon Japan. I've done both in the past, but it has been a long time so no clue as to availability.

Re: Availability of Fujichrome Velvia 50, 4x5 sheet film

So far as I can tell, Velvia 50 sheet film is no longer imported to the US. It is still offered in Japan - Amazon.jp is currently showing the 4x5 at Y12,473 per box of 20, plus shipping, and Yodobashi Camera is showing it at Y13,720. You'll have to ask Kumar to see what price he can get through his distributor.

FWIW, those 4x5 transparency films that are still offered in the US are around $5 a sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    So far as I can tell, Velvia 50 sheet film is no longer imported to the US. It is still offered in Japan - Amazon.jp is currently showing the 4x5 at Y12,473 per box of 20, plus shipping, and Yodobashi Camera is showing it at Y13,720. You'll have to ask Kumar to see what price he can get through his distributor.

FWIW, those 4x5 transparency films that are still offered in the US are around $5 a sheet.
    Where's that?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Where's that?
    Check your favorite mail-order source - B&H, Adorama, Freestyle, whatever.

Drew Wiley

Velvia 100F is a better product in my opinion because the sheet version is made on a far superior dimensionally-stable polyester base (versus acetate). But I know that there are some who prefer the slightly different hue signature of the 50 speed product. Although I'm not trying to convert you to a different film, while you're at it, you should try out the new E100 Ekachrome product from Kodak - not as extremely saturated as Velvia, but with better neutral balance than either Velvia or Provia. Yes, there will be sticker shock compared to former pricing. Every time I need to buy a box of 8X10 color film these days, I make sure my defibrillator is in reach. 4X5 is now the "new 8x10" in terms of color film pricing. But in terms of overall inflation, 50 bucks or a little more per box is not terribly out of line with certain other things. It's amazing just how much the pricing of acrylic picture frame glazing, even high-quality acrylic house paint has gone up. Museum mounting board has skyrocketed.

Re: Fujichrome Velvia 50, 4x5 sheet film

Thanks Alan.
    Kumar contacted me to let me know that he can supply it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Every time I need to buy a box of 8X10 color film these days, I make sure my defibrillator is in reach.
    Hi Drew, now that's funny; however, I appreciate why you said that.
    Last edited by Oren Grad; 6-May-2021 at 17:16. Reason: fixed quote tags

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post

Thanks for the information Oren.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Velvia 100F is a better product in my opinion because the sheet version is made on a far superior dimensionally-stable polyester base (versus acetate). But I know that there are some who prefer the slightly different hue signature of the 50 speed product. Although I'm not trying to convert you to a different film, while you're at it, you should try out the new E100 Ekachrome product from Kodak - not as extremely saturated as Velvia, but with better neutral balance than either Velvia or Provia. Yes, there will be sticker shock compared to former pricing. Every time I need to buy a box of 8X10 color film these days, I make sure my defibrillator is in reach. 4X5 is now the "new 8x10" in terms of color film pricing. But in terms of overall inflation, 50 bucks or a little more per box is not terribly out of line with certain other things. It's amazing just how much the pricing of acrylic picture frame glazing, even high-quality acrylic house paint has gone up. Museum mounting board has skyrocketed.
    I fully agree about Provia— and it’s just slightly more resilient to being underexposed / resolving shadows. Velvia is just so unforgiving.

The new E100 is quite amazing too, but oh, even more expensive!

Provia fills all my slide needs.