Thread: Fidelity Elite 9x12cm holder works for 4x5 film?

Fidelity Elite 9x12cm holder works for 4x5 film?

Hi all,

Sorry for what might be a stupid question I have recently buy fidelity elite 9x12 holder and I’m not sure if I can fit 4x5 film on this holder.

German eBay seller is listing as if they were the same and it’s just a metric conversion, I have asked him and he says is the same,but I have read on forums that they are not the same.

Also if I look for 9x12 film on google I don’t see film but in the search appear 4x5 film so I’m a bit confused

What o would like is to use the 9x12 holder with Portra o Ektar 4x5 film in my Cambo Sc is that possible ?

Many thanks for your help!

Re: Fidelity Elite 9x12cm holder works for 4x5 film?

First the good. The outer dimension is the same as 4x5 holders so you are going to be able to use both on the same 4x5 or 9x12 camera.

The bad is that the inner dimension is not compatible between film sizes. You can not buy 4x5 film and use it in a 9x12 holder and the other way around.
    And in 9x12 the choice of film is much restricted. There is no 9x12 color film available as far as I know, and only selected brands of black and white.
    And since it's more common i Europe film is probably more available there.

That said, I shoot all of my black and white on 9x12. Holders are still easy to find and often cheaper than 4x5.
    And then my color in 4x5 holders.

You can trim 4x5 down to 9x12 if you want to go that way. With care it works I've done it

I've been collecting the European sized original Norma era holders 9x12 13x18 18x24. Works well with single sided Mammo XRAY film as that is only available in 18x24. One 18x24 sheet makes four 9x12's

Makes nice sized contact prints. Trying split printing VC paper with XRAY negs next. Might help with the contrast
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Foamer

You would have to cut the 4x5 film in the dark to fit. Not worth the hassle. Keep looking for 4x5 holders. Plenty out there.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

No need to trim 4x5 film. You can buy it ;-) At least Adox, Ilford and Foma offer film in this size.
    At Fotoimpex you can find all of them. There may be other retailers that also have this film in stock.
    Best,
    Pau

Some pictures in Flickr.

Hi all,

Many thanks for all your reply that help a lot and answer my question.

In terms of the holder do you recommend me any brand in particular? Is Toyo good as I see them on ebay for about 15 £ each

Many thanks!

Huub

As long as the holders are in good shape - no warps, a darkslide that fits, the hinge functional, they will work as they should, what ever the brand - Fidility, Lisco, Linhof, Toyo or what ever. When it comes to Toyo holders, there are several versions of them. Rumour goes that the most recent version, which has a metal darkslide, is the best. Those are considerably more expensive and can still be bought new. But as said: the older onee do a good job as well.

When buying second hand holders: do test them before use. Put a piece of photographic paper in them of the proper size, leave them out in the light for a while and develop the paper. This will show any possible light leak.