Thread: Odd Linhof grip

Odd Linhof grip

Can anyone tell me what this Linhof anatomical grip was used for?

The grip part itself is 'standard issue', but the camera attachment part is unusual. It has a part number: 20314

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Linhof grip.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	215457

Re: Odd Linhof grip

It was for handheld movie cameras. It screwed into the tripod socket.

Name:	1958 fpr_0005.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	224787 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1958 Linhof Anatomical Grip for Filmmakers-3.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	224788

Thanks for the responses. Just what I needed!

Interestingly enough, the best use I found for the grip is with a Rollei E2 (120 twin lens) when used with a prism or with the eye-level viewing arrangement of the flip-up ground glass hood. It's not as convenient to attach/detach as the Rollei grip, but I found it easier on the hand and wrist. (Years of using an anatomical grip on a Linhof Technika IV??)

I've also toyed with attaching it to a Nikon F and a Nikon D750. It *does* help keep the left arm tucked against the body, but it's hard to break a 60 year habit of focussing 35mm cameras with the left hand. With autofocus lenses, of course, that isn't a problem.

For what it's worth, I attached a small Arca Swiss style quick release to the grip. That speeds things up. Now all I need is some 'quick release' mechanism for my cameras that take standard shutter release cables. Any suggestions?

Post Re: Odd Linhof grip

does anyone know about this Linhof grip attachment bracket? part number 3.3269

Name:	IMG_2131.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	235586

I have two broken ones that I need to replace... on an 18x24 Aero Technika....

I think I just found one attached to a grip for sale at Camera West. But I can't find any other examples and I'm not sure what it was originally for. I think it was a jury-rigged solution in my case. Thanks!

Wow you have an 18x24 Linhof Pyramid aerial camera? How special, not many of those were made! Hopefully you can make a post about it! I would love to see and hear about it. Now you just need a Zeppelin to shoot from!

Linhof made a right-hand Anatomical Grip that is very similar... but it had a latch for removal where yours seems to be intended to be permanently screwed in.

Name:	1963-Right-Hand-Anatomical-Grip-English-German-Langauge-3.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	235611

Excellent, thanks so much! I hadn’t realized there was a right hand grip that used this different bracket. That’s exactly what I need.

I will try to make a separate post about it, but in case I don’t, some tidbits: there’s a removable bracket for large square filters that sits inside the body, behind the lens; the left hand grip, which is attached to the back left edge, has something that looks like a flash synch cable threaded through it, which travels through the interior of the body to a couple of copper contacts that sit where the lens board sits—there are no matching contacts on the lens board it came with, but I’m guessing that was for an electronic shutter? Can’t imagine it was for a flash, right? The right hand grip is attached to the front of the camera, right next to the lens board. It will be interesting to see if it actually works at all to hand hold it once I get the broken brackets replaced. One was broken before I bought it, the other broke during shipping due to inadequate packaging—Arg!

There’s not much else to it. I apparently have serial number “606 VE”—that’s what’s engraved in the cold shoe, anyway. It has a rotating back with a bale arm, an aero technika badge, and came with a Linhof selected Schneider Xenar 300/5.6 that seems to be in excellent shape, mounted to a big custom made extended lens board. No helical or anything like that.

If anyone knows anything at all about this camera, I’d love to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Embdude View Post
    Wow you have an 18x24 Linhof Pyramid aerial camera? How special, not many of those were made! Hopefully you can make a post about it! I would love to see and hear about it. Now you just need a Zeppelin to shoot from!

Linhof made a right-hand Anatomical Grip that is very similar... but it had a latch for removal where yours seems to be intended to be permanently screwed in.

Name:	1963-Right-Hand-Anatomical-Grip-English-German-Langauge-3.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	235611

Thanks Andrew. As this post is about the Grip I will go ahead and create a new post to discuss the 18x24 Aero-Technika.

It is here: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...51#post1672151
    Last edited by Embdude; 21-Feb-2023 at 22:51.