Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What is the Most Difficult Large Format Photography

Re: What is the Most Difficult Large Format Photography

Photographing when your non-photographer wife is with you, so you rush things and make such rookie mistakes as forgetting to close the shutter before pulling dark slide. Happened to me this past weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Calwell View Post
    Photographing when your non-photographer wife is with you, so you rush things and make such rookie mistakes as forgetting to close the shutter before pulling dark slide. Happened to me this past weekend.
    Yeah. I can't go out to shoot with my wife. I'm rushing all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    When I was a student at RIT enrolled in the BioMedical Photography program of studies, I did all my Photomicrography assignments with my 8x10. I remember standing on the lab countertop looking down on the GG of my 8x10 B&J Commercial view camera, and using my big toe to focus with the fine focus adjustment knob. No one told me at the time that doing photomicrography with an 8x10 was difficult.
    Greg, there's a big difference between shooting prepared slides and tiny mobile organisms.

Ray Van Nes

Wind. I live in Southern Alberta - very windy at times. Had to rebuild my 5 x 12 last year when I took my hand for a second to reach something and it went over.

Go adlibs to make a bad situation worse.
    Photomicrographs on ULF in extreme wind in Antarctica handheld.
    Portraits but the photographer is blind and doesn't have an assistant.
    Paper negatives but someone plays a prank when loading and reverses the paper.
    Getting to use a nice wood camera but then they reveal it's a kit and you have to assemble it before using it.

On the serious note the worst for me has always been when I am rushed or am being rushed or having to try and field various questions while setting up a picture. It's not even that I mind their curiosity or anything, it's just I can't split my focus that well and end up feeling really stressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Van Nes View Post
    Wind. I live in Southern Alberta - very windy at times. Had to rebuild my 5 x 12 last year when I took my hand for a second to reach something and it went over.
    I'm guessing you work with a higher ISO film.
    Garry Madlung
    Veteran of many tours of the Canadian Rockies

Photo Micro work at 200-500 times lifesize?

Long bellows required and rock solid specialty cameras generally using Glass Plate film.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Good for you Greg.
    I think one of the most difficult things for me is sorting out the "best" image from everything around me when I am out with the camera.

The kind that can only be done with a camera, lens and film you don't have?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Oh…dear. My assignment from hell.

17 year old kid wanted me to photograph a pencil drawing for part of his art school application. Had to be on location as the drawing was huge (8X10 feet), and he wanted a black and white print as a final product - so I packed up my 4x5 gear plus my Norman flash system.

When I got to his house, his mother answered the door - dressed in her bathrobe and slippers, dark bags under her eyes…coughing and sneezing up a storm, and also apparently quite hung over. She directed me down to the basement…where I found her son (also sneezing a coughing), pencil in hand, still working on the large drawing which I’d been hired to photograph. “I’m not quite done, so could you please wait?”

As I began to set up my gear, the kids younger brother (7 or 8 years old) suddenly appeared with a basketball…which he then proceeded to bounce all over the place - threatening to destroy my lighting setup. When I cautioned him to be careful, he asked, “are you a photographer?” When I said yes, he then said “loser!” and continued to bounce the ball around…but now with added gusto.

And that 8x10 foot pencil drawing? It was apparently created using a very fine, very light grey pencil - and even as I looked closely it was difficult to discern any detail, to say nothing of how impossible this seemed when considering the whole of the drawing at once.

So…I did a series of “hail Mary’s” - massively underexposed negatives (along with a couple of “normal” ones), which I then proceeded to massively over develop…and I actually managed to get a decent result!

But then - actually getting paid…even after the kid had agreed to my earlier quote (“but…this is for just one picture?!”). I ultimately had to go above his head to his mother…who, fortunately by then (or not?), was quite sober!