Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Light leak

Re: Light leak

Quote Originally Posted by Dugan View Post
    Is there something reflective inside your bellows?
    Have you checked the seams where the bellows meets the camera body?
    Thank you, nothing reflective inside the bellows, all bellow seams light proof as checked by light bulb in dark room

Quote Originally Posted by John Earley View Post
    Make sure that the bottom of the film holders seat all the way. Even with a dark cloth covering the camera you can get light leaks. Don't ask me how I know.
    thank you, I make sure before firing the shutter, however the leak happens every time, posting some scans of my last log of negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by robphoto View Post
    Could you post a couple of your negatives, and also include the edge of the film in the photo?

Also, if you have another box of film, you could try that in case the film was accidentally exposed at some point.

While you've got the light bulb in the bellows and a holder in the back, push the back around to see if there's any slack so when you pull a slide, etc. it can move and leak.

Thank you, I jiggled the back with light bulb inside but it is a perfect fit with no slack and no movement when pulling out or inserting the dark slide.

I am scanning my negatives and will attach pictures here. Though the light leak is happening with two different films which I used, Agfa Aviphot and Fomapan 100. I will try film out of an unopened box also.

thanks again

Because the light shows up on the same side of the *film*, not the same side of the camera, it suggests the issue is the back or the film.

If you're getting similar fogging with two different boxes of film, it's probably not the film.

You could also try the light bulb outside of the camera in the dark room, and look in through the lens end of the camera.

The pattern of the fogging looks like the light is coming at a sharp angle from the side, so near the camera back, not from the front of the camera.

You can see that the side of the holder or back is "shading" the film towards the edge, so it's not fogged there.

If the negative you sent a picture of is right reading, the leak is on the right side of the back as you look at it from behind the camera when the back is in portrait orientation, and at the bottom of the back when you're in landscape orientation.

It really looks like a light leak from the back to me. Check everything you can there; look for cracks, missing seals, and anything that would keep the holder from seating properly. And, do make sure you're not pulling the spring back away from the camera body when you're pulling/inserting the darkslide.

If you can't find anything at all on the camera, develop an unexposed sheet to see if the light-strike is already there.

Best,

Doremus

Thank you for your helpful replies, I will inform the point wise actions -

1. I am attaching two fully scanned pictures with the light leak, and yes it is at the bottom and right side looking at the camera from behind.

2) I re checked everything inside and outside with the light bulb, there are no cracks, missing seals or light gaps, the camera is solid.

3) I am careful when moving the dark slides in and out and am not lifting the holder or the spring retainer during that process. The camera and back is fully wrapped in the dark cloth upto the lens before making the exposure.

4) finally I have opened a new box and will expose new film (the old one had finished) and post the result here. After checking the camera I must have accidentally exposed the film while loading the holders, it seems the only possible conclusion.

thank you again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic256 copy-Recovered.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	215604
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic261 copy.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	215605