Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New to LF - First shot - Focusing

Exploring Large Format Exploring Large Format's Avatar

Re: New to LF - First shot - Focusing

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    If your loupe has a diopter adjustment (which it probably does), are you sure that diopter adjustment is properly made for your eye that you typically use to look through that loupe when the loupe is placed directly against the rear surface of the GG and you attempt compose and focus the image? I remember from many past threads on this Forum related to using loupes for critical focusing on the GG, that Bob Salomon would (rightly) advise new LFers to be sure to adjust their loupe (before they ever went out into the field to make a photo) so that when it is placed against the back side of the GG (and fresnel in your case) that you are clearly seeing the sharpest and most granular details of the inside surface of the GG. Do this first at home without even putting a lens on the front standard or trying to focus an image through a lens and onto the GG. That inside surface of the GG is where your images will later be focused, and so those images will then be correctly captured (as you saw and focused on them) on film surface that will be within your film holder. If you're not able to correctly see that inside surface of the GG when your loupe is placed directly on the rear of the GG and camera, then you may not be seeing the true image that the film will "see" as you are looking through your loupe to check for focus on the inside surface of your GG.
    Amen to this. I'm new at this, and for a while was satisfied with my loupe. But recently spent more time examining the GG, and noticed I wasn't seeing it quite clearly. So i dialed the diopter in clearly as described. Then I put a teenie drop of white paint on both the moving barrel and the non-moving barrel to mark The Spot of Clarity.

Now, first thing when i pull out the loupe is to confirm the white spots are aligned. Then all good.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Re: New to LF - First shot - Focusing

Quote Originally Posted by Exploring Large Format View Post
    Amen to this. I'm new at this, and for a while was satisfied with my loupe. But recently spent more time examining the GG, and noticed I wasn't seeing it quite clearly. So i dialed the diopter in clearly as described. Then I put a teenie drop of white paint on both the moving barrel and the non-moving barrel to mark The Spot of Clarity.

Now, first thing when i pull out the loupe is to confirm the white spots are aligned. Then all good.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    I have added an alignment mark as you described to one of my regularly used loupes, but on others I was able to an adhesive tape to hold the two portions for the loupe securely in the desired orientation so I don't have to do that alignment check each time.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo