Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new member intro, and, lens purchase dilemna...

new member intro, and, lens purchase dilemna...

Hi everyone,

Glad to be a part of the forum. Am guilty of lurking and researching here for (literally) years. Have shot almost everything except LF up until now, and have been taking steps to initiate myself with some (hopefully) cool purchases.

Ran into a little problem on ebay... found what would be a very cool buy: an f4.5 90mm Grandagon for $400. While trying to control my excitement opening the package in today's mail, I noted that the required 82mm filter size seemed to be getting smaller in my old age... and alas... 67mm..... ???

Cool buy... ... for the seller! Even has a sticker identifying as a 6.8 lens!

Feeling really snookered! I've seen through the forums that most users seem to look down a little on getting gear from the bay. Have actually assembled quite a bit of nice gear over the years with little if any trouble. So I wrote a nice courteous note to the seller and hoping for the best.

Welcome to my World!
    wayne

Re: new member intro, and, lens purchase dilemna...

Welcome

I study eBay

Bought something interesting at 6 am from my bed

Education is always expensive
    Tin Can

I guess i was first surprised that it fit in the mailbox, and second that the box was so light (from what I've read the 4.5 is a Big lens).

Any thoughts on whether I should keep it and what compensation is justifiable anyone? If a deal seems too good.... if i really want to hold out for the faster lens it looks like minimum $350 difference for the fast lens.

If Oren is OK

OK
    Last edited by Tin Can; 30-Apr-2021 at 04:52. Reason: run with the crowd
    Tin Can

(Shrek)

As a long-time eBay seller (not LF items), if the seller described it as the more desirable f4.5 lens, then file an 'item not as described' case. If it was a case of you assuming it was the f4.5, nor realizing there was a much less valuable version of the 90mm, then I'm sorry to say there's nothing you can do.

it was definitely described as 4.5. I think they were looking at the f stop on the copal and just assumed...

Just checked, they offered full refund and to pay return shipping (sigh of relief, didn't want to make any trouble)...

Didn't know btw that you could file a "not as described." Too bad, is a nice lens! The 4.5 is out of my "budget" for sure.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by wayne77 View Post
    it was definitely described as 4.5. I think they were looking at the f stop on the copal and just assumed...

Just checked, they offered full refund and to pay return shipping (sigh of relief, didn't want to make any trouble)...

Didn't know btw that you could file a "not as described." Too bad, is a nice lens! The 4.5 is out of my "budget" for sure.

Yes, I would return it. I have the Nikon 90mm f4.5 and love it. All of these are actually nice lenses.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

all of my 35mm glass is Nikon, and I've really never disliked any of the lenses I've amassed over the years... Looks like there are a few of those for not much more than I paid the the Rodenstock.

Picture of said Rodenstock Grandagon in question. Shutter's aperture scale and lens description on the front lens ring.
    This the lens in question?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/19401096791...p2047675.l2557

If yes, first hint of wrong would be the Copal# 0 shutter. The 90mm f4.5 Grandagon comes in a# 1 shutter. Copal, Compur, Prontor Pro or similar. They were also offered in Sinar DB mount. 90mm f6.8 Grandagon comes in a# 0 shutter.. Curious as to why the seller did not have any pictures of the description text on the side of the front lens barrel, only on axis images in this listing.

Return it for "item not as described"..

Bernice

return it! its not as advertised.