Thread: Bogen/Manfrotto hex QR plates

Bogen/Manfrotto hex QR plates

I was perusing one of the articles on the front page of the site (this one: https://www.largeformatphotography.info/heads.html ) and it mentions a Bogen hex QR plate that is actually 4 inches square for stability, but mounts on the standard hex quick release. No part of model number is given, and my searches have only come up with people saying it exists, but no part or model number, and no picture even.

I currently have hex plates on my Technikardan and my Technika. On the Technikardan the standard hex plate is less than ideal, and something that has a larger contact surface would be nice. Does anyone know any more about this hypothetical QR plate? If I had a part number, even if it was no longer made, it would be easier to find one.

(If it matters, I'm currently using a 3047 3-way head on a 3021 tripod.)

Re: Bogen/Manfrotto hex QR plates

They are Bogen 3297 4"x4" plates. They've long been discontinued; but, they occasionally come up for sale or bid on EBay. They're an excellent option for flat bed cameras.

I think a better option for you would be a Bogen Universal 3268 plate, also discontinued. The 3297 is wider than you need, whereas, the Universal measures 2 3/4" x 4 3/4".

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    They are Bogen 3297 4"x4" plates. They've long been discontinued; but, they occasionally come up for sale or bid on EBay. They're an excellent option for flat bed cameras.

I think a better option for you would be a Bogen Universal 3268 plate, also discontinued. The 3297 is wider than you need, whereas, the Universal measures 2 3/4" x 4 3/4".
    thanks! That's exactly what I need (if I can find one.) The TK has an odd 'feature' where the bottom center of the monorail is recessed a bit so the hex set screws don't work as well as I'd like. Something with more contact surface would be great. I'll put it in a automatic ebay search and see if one pops up eventually.

EDIT: Even better--Wall Street Photo has a 3268 new (listed on Amazon). A bit more than I like, but hey...I ordered it

John Olsen

I have smaller Bogen hex plates and find that putting gaffer's tape on the bottom of my cameras around the screw hole helps a lot. I always toss the pliers into my gear bag so I can tighten a loose plate when I'm in the field too.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    I want to thank you again. Probably the last brand new 3268 is now in my hands. From the looks, it will be perfect for the TK!