Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 carry options

Re: 8x10 carry options

Quote Originally Posted by drew wiley View Post
    same thing with the headless horseman, john. Of course, his head got shot off by a blunderbuss instead of a shotgun, and he was toting a horseman camera instead of a dorff.
    lol!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    I'd say just hunt for an f/64 backpack, made for the job by people who know about these things...
    Good bag for just walking from the car to a shot real close by. That bag will demolish your back if you walk anywhere. Practical for storage, but otherwise a useless bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dodphotography View Post
    That’s a cool option... my Arca is just at 16.25 inches high which would be a tight squeeze in that case. I also prefer a top loading case. I have a series of packs I can strap top loading cases too. My most recent favorite is a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab. Really nice bag.

Top loading case is what I think will work best for me.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by dodphotography View Post
    Good bag for just walking from the car to a shot real close by. That bag will demolish your back if you walk anywhere. Practical for storage, but otherwise a useless bag.
    Must be a "your mileage may vary" thing. In my younger days, I hiked a mile plus a number of times, and found it a Godsend.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Drew Wiley

People who know about these things are those that have carried serious gear themselves for decades. REAL backpacks were once made that way. Now they're made in China. Even the way smaller shoulder bags I use for MF and 35mm gear deserve to be there only because they say, Made in USA. There are quality exceptions both directions, or course, so I don't want to demean any one specific product line; but statistically, it's a pretty good rule of thumb. Of course, most camera bags once made in China are now made in Vietnam, with workers themselves making the equivalent of just a few cents per bag. I knew someone who worked for a major importer and knew the obscene markups involved by the time these kinds of flimsy things reach retail camera stores and so forth, and quit in disgust. End of pontification.

Sometimes I myself just walk a short distance from the car; but it's mainly to take a pee. More than once I have done that, looked around, saw something amazing, and ran back for the camera. So maybe there is something to it. For everything else, I want a serious backpack, not a toy one.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Sometimes I myself just walk a short distance from the car; but it's mainly to take a pee...
    I believe it was Edward Weston who observed, "There is nothing worth peeing on more than 200 yards from the car." Or something like that...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    People who know about these things are those that have carried serious gear themselves for decades. REAL backpacks were once made that way. Now they're made in China. Even the way smaller shoulder bags I use for MF and 35mm gear deserve to be there only because they say, Made in USA. There are quality exceptions both directions, or course, so I don't want to demean any one specific product line; but statistically, it's a pretty good rule of thumb. Of course, most camera bags once made in China are now made in Vietnam, with workers themselves making the equivalent of just a few cents per bag. I knew someone who worked for a major importer and knew the obscene markups involved by the time these kinds of flimsy things reach retail camera stores and so forth, and quit in disgust. End of pontification.

Sometimes I myself just walk a short distance from the car; but it's mainly to take a pee. More than once I have done that, looked around, saw something amazing, and ran back for the camera. So maybe there is something to it. For everything else, I want a serious backpack, not a toy one.
    Hence no reason to pay the photo tax... half the bag, twice the cost.

Better off with brands like Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, Stone Glacier. All American made, insanely overbuilt.

My option is 5X7

Perhaps a Cycle camera

and lunch
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Awhile back, Army-Navy surplus stores had an abundance of canvas insulated cooler bags for transporting Jerry can sized water containers for troops on desert maneuvers. These were built like proverbial tanks and the insulation provided thick protective cushioning. They opened and closed via heavy double brass zippers and had shoulder straps---available in any color as long as it was coyote tan. I'd check out Army-Navy Surplus stores in your neighborhood and see if any are still around and if it'll fit your Ansco. I have one for my V8 'dorff and another for film holders
    They've replaced my Ice Chest for car carrying ever since Yosemite Bears have learned to read "Igloo" and "Coleman." Apparently "US" still has them stumped
    These are them:
    https://www.loadup.com/us-gi-militar...bag-5-gal.html
    I found a Jerry Can cooler I've had for a number of years, yet never used. And just to illustrate John's post, I grabbed my 8x10 Ansco to see how it fit. It's just about perfect. Now, I'm not about to give up my Lightware case I mentioned earlier. But this is a really good solution. Far less expensive than Lightware...and probably more weather resistant if that matters.

Attachment 216054
    Attachment 216055
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jerrycan4.jpg   jerrycan3.jpg  
    Last edited by William Whitaker; 22-May-2021 at 16:39.

I just ordered these

If they work for camera, fine

if not, then shopping

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YK8BJWZ...dDbGljaz10cnVl
    Tin Can