Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 8x10 carry options

Re: 8x10 carry options

Jogging baby stroller.

I have used a jogging stroler in the past. Worked Ok in shooting around our home neighborhood BUT . . . .

It was difficult to store at home and let no room in the trunk for luggage.

Later on I adapted a golf bag pull cart by stripping off some golf related fixtures and clamping on a 1970s era external back pack frame. The shoulder straps of a LowePro backpack hooked over the frame and a bungee cord stabilized the load.

This also worked pretty well; better than the stroller and was more compact when folded and stowed. Pulled more easily over unpaved ground (like a golf course) and was under $20 at a thrift store. It too is gone now.

This subject comes up on this board several times a year. I think there is a niche market for an engineered and manufactured product (expensive) or at least a conversion kit.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Re; Golf Bag Pull Cart.

If you take the wheels off and put on some kind of skids it would be compliant with Wilderness Area regulations as a sled I think!
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Wow

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Re; Golf Bag Pull Cart.

If you take the wheels off and put on some kind of skids it would be compliant with Wilderness Area regulations as a sled I think!
    A pack mule would be more fun---at least it'll give you someone to discuss Post modernism with whilst out on the trail
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Mules fun?? Not when they decide to lay down in the middle of a creek with all your gear still atop them. As you well know, that's not so much a problem when they're all tethered together in a string as when being led one at a time, which was generally the case if some kid like me was expected to just resupply a camp. Such memories! The last time I saw the owner of that pack station at Badger Flat, he was hopping around cussing like hell in the corral; a mule he was shoeing had just stomped on the end of his pointy cowboy boot, flattened it, and broken three toes. But as a child, we never used our own donkey for any kind of work. It was distinctly a pet, having been given to us by Wilbur Plaugher once it got too big for his rodeo stunt pulling it out of his baggy clown pants.

Funny, but I could easily outpace a mule or horse train up those mountain trails when I was younger. Now it's more like a race against a centipede. Actually, I go a lot slower downhill than uphill, to make it easier on the knees. But I intend to carry my gear in an actual backpack as long as I can.

OK . . ok . . .I take it back about the skids.

Just because something can be done does not make it a good idea.

No skids or sleds in the wilderness areas.

Anyway, I am a few days away from getting my second total hip replacement so I can barely walk now. Several months of rehab lie ahead. Last time, it took about that long before zi could walk around the block.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

I use an old fashioned external frame backpack with camera gear inside a separate padded bag. Easily carry big and heavy stuff with little discomfort. Only problem is mine is only top loaded so getting the things in and out is cumbersome.

Drew Wiley

All my own external frame packs have a large top section accessed from the top, and a separate zippered bottom section, plus a number of side pouches suitable for lenses and accessories. This arrangement in quite convenient, with ample room for jackets and lunch and so forth. But things do get rather crowded inside the pack when a week or two of food, clothing, cooking gear, tent, sleeping bag, etc, are also necessary to carry. But I've been doing that for many years. I'm trying to gradually build up to being comfortable with that kind of weight again, impending summer backpacking trips. The past year was very difficult with respect to physical conditioning due to our seemingly endless massive forest fires and their unhealthy smoke. But on those long backpacking trips I downsize to 4X5 gear instead of 8x10.

If you have a clamshell camera, never complain... ever. There are 10,000 options that exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk