Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 carry options

Drew Wiley

Re: 8x10 carry options

But are there still 10,000 clamshell cameras still in use to prove that postulate?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    But are there still 10,000 clamshell cameras still in use to prove that postulate?
    Lol touché, as a backpack expert (nothing I’m proud of) the options are almost limitless for anything folding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everybody has their favorite method. I do, too.
    What works for me is a Lightware Speedpack Case. Mine is the model S1010. (https://lightwareinc.com/product/s1010-speedpack-case/) It's not cheap by any means. But it's one of the nicest and best made cases I've seen. Besides, I bought it used from another forum member. My camera is an older Ansco 8x10 (very similar to yours) and the Lightware case fits the camera almost perfectly with space for the 5x7 reducing back. And there is room on top for a folded dark cloth. Film holders and lenses have to ride separately, although a couple of my lenses are small enough that one or the other of them could ride mounted to the camera.
    I prefer a top-loading case because it's easier for me to operate out of. Backpacks have always been awkward for one reason or another. Laying them down on the ground invites dirt into places I don't want it. There's a temptation to overload the pack and make it heavier/more complicated than it needs to be. And I'm not fond of doing deep knee bends. The Speedpack Case, while it doesn't hold everything, is easy to pick up and about as easy as anything (for me) to carry. Film holders go in a Gnass case (yes, I know those aren't made anymore. Sorry!) Lenses and maybe a couple of holders can go in a satchel case and ride on my shoulder. Minimizing the glass I carry makes life a lot easier. My favorite one lens for 8x10 remains the 250mm Kodak Wide-Field Ektar. So much can be done with just that one lens.
    As with life, keep everything in balance and life will be sweeter.
    Now, if I could only apply that to my own life!

Quote Originally Posted by William Whitaker View Post
    Everybody has their favorite method. I do, too.
    What works for me is a Lightware Speedpack Case. Mine is the model S1010. (https://lightwareinc.com/product/s1010-speedpack-case/) It's not cheap by any means. But it's one of the nicest and best made cases I've seen. Besides, I bought it used from another forum member. My camera is an older Ansco 8x10 (very similar to yours) and the Lightware case fits the camera almost perfectly with space for the 5x7 reducing back. And there is room on top for a folded dark cloth. Film holders and lenses have to ride separately, although a couple of my lenses are small enough that one or the other of them could ride mounted to the camera.
    I prefer a top-loading case because it's easier for me to operate out of. Backpacks have always been awkward for one reason or another. Laying them down on the ground invites dirt into places I don't want it. There's a temptation to overload the pack and make it heavier/more complicated than it needs to be. And I'm not fond of doing deep knee bends. The Speedpack Case, while it doesn't hold everything, is easy to pick up and about as easy as anything (for me) to carry. Film holders go in a Gnass case (yes, I know those aren't made anymore. Sorry!) Lenses and maybe a couple of holders can go in a satchel case and ride on my shoulder. Minimizing the glass I carry makes life a lot easier. My favorite one lens for 8x10 remains the 250mm Kodak Wide-Field Ektar. So much can be done with just that one lens.
    As with life, keep everything in balance and life will be sweeter.
    Now, if I could only apply that to my own life!
    That’s a cool option... my Arca is just at 16.25 inches high which would be a tight squeeze in that case. I also prefer a top loading case. I have a series of packs I can strap top loading cases too. My most recent favorite is a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab. Really nice bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a lightware case once. It was extremely high quality.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Drew Wiley

I don't lay down packs on the dirt. If there's not a tree or rock nearby to rest it on, I simply use one of my trekking poles at an angle behind it as a support. But that works well because it is indeed a classic pack with a rigid eternal frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I had a lightware case once. It was extremely high quality.
    I have a Lightware that has completely failed me - the canvas exterior has totally separated from the interior body foam and the adhesive is now disintegrating. Anything that goes in comes out covered in stick black stuff.

I use an Uncle Mike's shotgun sling to carry my (headless) tripod.
    A shotgun sling differs from rifle sling as it loops around the barrels and the wrist of the gunstock, so it works well with a tripod.
    Works good enough for me anyway.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Same thing with the Headless Horseman, John. Of course, his head got shot off by a blunderbuss instead of a shotgun, and he was toting a Horseman camera instead of a Dorff.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I'd say just hunt for an f/64 backpack, made for the job by people who know about these things...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."