Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this uneven development?

Is this uneven development?

To test developers, I exposed four identical 8x10 sheets of FP4 and developed two of the sheets. The one on left in Pyrocat-hd (1:1:100 at ~68 F for 20 minutes) and one on right in Perceptol (1:1 at ~68 F for 15 minutes). This has been my first time ever trying Pyrocat-hd.

While I am not quite sure which one I prefer in terms of picking as my main developer, I see these weird uneven shades on the left and bottom left of Pyrocat-hd sheet, while the Perceptol sheet looks clean. Is this "uneven development"?

I developed both sheets in two separate Stearman Press 810 trays, I used distilled water for a 2-minute pre-soak (for both sheets), I used distilled water for stop bath (for both sheets), I used Stearman Press SP-Fixer #7 (for both sheets, 5 minutes).

How can I avoid these types of artifacts in the future?
    I have two more undeveloped sheets that are identical, I was thinking about trying semi-stand/minimal-agitation with Pyrocat-hd and perhaps develop the fourth sheet in DD-X for a 4-way comparison. But I would like to try to get a clean Pyrocat-hd result, so maybe I can skip the DD-X and give normal Pyrocat-hd (not semi-stand) another try. If I can't get a clean result then I suppose I'll just not use Pyrocat-hd going forward.

Pyrocat-hd I am using is from photo-formulary and came in 2 small A and B bottles of liquid.

Any help/guidance would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

Re: Uneven development?

For context, here is the setup of this 4-sheet experiment:

Re: Is this uneven development?

There is some threads accordind Pyrocat HD development problems, I found useful this:

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...cat+semi+stand

I haven;t used the Stearman 8x10, only the 445. It appears from your images that the bottom of both was cut off in camera, i.e., no image of the figurines' bases, so I'll leave that out. The other unexpected density variations appear to be a combination of uneven development and, on the left neg, a significant light leak. Note that the heavy density goes all the way into the film margin which should be clear, lower left.

Where the density is less than expected could also be uneven development, but the shadows that appear in the set-up photo are not evident in the negs, and although it seems unlikely from direction and angle, could these be the shadows? If so, you may may have fairly even development.

The one remaining artifact is the sharp-edged extra density strip on the right of the negs, which appears to be from an added fold of a clear neg envelope during your scan. If not, that needs to be traced as well.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Thanks. I actually read that thread last night before falling asleep. It talks mostly about semi-stand butt perhaps there are some bits that apply to normal development also. I will read it again. The side by side I posted is normal development for both Pyrocat and Perceptol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    Where the density is less than expected could also be uneven development, but the shadows that appear in the set-up photo are not evident in the negs, and although it seems unlikely from direction and angle, could these be the shadows? If so, you may may have fairly even development.
    That's an interesting observation ... yeah it could acttually be the shadows from the figurines, which perhaps have more contrast in the Pyrocat-hd sheet. In such case the that would mean it is evenly developed.

I
    The one remaining artifact is the sharp-edged extra density strip on the right of the negs, which appears to be from an added fold of a clear neg envelope during your scan.
    Yes- it's the fold of the negative protective sleeve.

The other unexpected density variations appear to be a combination of uneven development and, on the left neg, a significant light leak. Note that the heavy density goes all the way into the film margin which should be clear, lower left.
    There is a light leak I am dealing with, notice the tape at the bottom of the rear standard in my setup photo, but I thought I am just experimenting and any effects of light leaks would be evident in both sheets and I'll just use the good parts to make my choice of developer.

Views You Can Use

"How can I avoid these types of artifacts in the future?"

There are several issues none of which look like uneven development. On the left is a light leak, on the right side of both negs is a lighter strip, and another strip on the bottom, not sure what that is but something preventing exposure or development in that area. The rest of the negs look evenly processed.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p2391732868-5 (1).jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	215335

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Beck View Post
    "How can I avoid these types of artifacts in the future?"

There are several issues none of which look like uneven development. On the left is a light leak, on the right side of both negs is a lighter strip, and another strip on the bottom, not sure what that is but something preventing exposure or development in that area. The rest of the negs look evenly processed.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p2391732868-5 (1).jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	215335
    Negatives were in a sleeve, so the right side is the fold of the sleeve. We can ignore that.
    I just noticed the differences on the bottom left and left edge, which are not present (or as clearly obvious) in the Perceptol sheet. So I was wondering if that's uneven development.

Thanks, everyone for your input. I will probably do another different experiment. And will still do my 4-way comparison as originally intended.

I am a newbie and making mistakes is part of the learning process. But I am having more fun making these mistakes than I have had in a long time