Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this uneven development?

Re: Is this uneven development?

I’m not a pyrocat stand/semi-stand user but I believe the consensus has generally been that when the film is developed in a vertical orientation rather than in a tray, the process is somewhat less prone to these kinds of artifacts/problems.

Off topic but I looked at your linked site - some really beautiful photos there.

Michael

Swirl marks: These (and the ones on the right) are on the neg itself, not a scanning artifact? They don't look anything like fluid swirl marks to me.
    RE: uneven development -- I think you need to eliminate the light leak and then try afresh. It may be easier to see from a positive print.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    Swirl marks: These (and the ones on the right) are on the neg itself, not a scanning artifact? They don't look anything like fluid swirl marks to me.
    RE: uneven development -- I think you need to eliminate the light leak and then try afresh. It may be easier to see from a positive print.
    Hi Philip
    Yes, swirl marks are on the negatives. Not due to taking the photo with my phone. I do not have a scanner.

I took my camera into a dark room at night and inserted a film holder and removed the lens, then checked for any light leaks on the rear standard and seems my tape job is light sealed and I do not see any hint of light inside. This tape job is definitely temporary. A permanent fix will take a few weeks. So in the meantime, I am just doing some experiments. But your point is well taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    I’m not a pyrocat stand/semi-stand user but I believe the consensus has generally been that when the film is developed in a vertical orientation rather than in a tray, the process is somewhat less prone to these kinds of artifacts/problems.

Off topic but I looked at your linked site - some really beautiful photos there.

Michael
    Hi Michael, I might have read somewhere about the vertical orientation thing you mention. It's a shame, if I can't use trays for semi-stand, the SP-810 trays have been working well for my needs. I will look into tubes that can be held vertically.
    And thank you for your kind words about photos on my website.

I contacted Steve Sherman and he was very kind to offer some input. He suggested that streaks/swirls are most likely caused by bromide buildup or Bromide Drag which can happen with reduced agitation, especially in large even-toned areas. The cause stems from the developer has exhausted for too long a period of time. Tray development may have contributed as well.

Jamgolf, There's nothing particular about Pyrocat HD that would promote uneven development. I've used it for many years, as my main developer for 35/120 in small tanks and 4x5,5x7,8x10 in trays with clean results. You might find this thread interesting, it's about uneven development problems with Stearman Press tanks/trays.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...X10-Tray/page2

Quote Originally Posted by jamgolf View Post
    Hi Michael, I might have read somewhere about the vertical orientation thing you mention. It's a shame, if I can't use trays for semi-stand, the SP-810 trays have been working well for my needs. I will look into tubes that can be held vertically.
    And thank you for your kind words about photos on my website.
    I have followed Steve Sherman's directions as closely as possible when developing my recent 5x12's. I stand the tubes on one end until the mid agitation, then stand them on the other end. I have not perfected Steve's methods, but i don't have any unusual marks from fluid flow on my negatives.

Thanks, Jim, for sharing your experience with developing in tubes. I will try that myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Y View Post
    Jamgolf, There's nothing particular about Pyrocat HD that would promote uneven development. I've used it for many years, as my main developer for 35/120 in small tanks and 4x5,5x7,8x10 in trays with clean results. You might find this thread interesting, it's about uneven development problems with Stearman Press tanks/trays.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...X10-Tray/page2
    Greg, I read several threads, including the one you linked, before buying SP-810 trays. I have developed a few sheets in Perceptol and all of them have come out looking pretty clean and even. But a few sheets is probably not enough. I think about 50 to 100 sheets is what it will take to say if SP-810 trays are working reliably for me. But for now, I am happy with what I am getting from them. I don't have a darkroom, so I appreciate the convenience of SP-810s.

Someone else experienced the exact same squigly/swirl marks with Pyrocat-HD in SP-810:
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...=1#post1550875

And Michael Kadillak's respoonse:
    "In order to properly execute sheet film stand or semi stand development you must use have the film in the proper sized tube and the film must be standing vertically to properly accomplish the development objective. Trays using this technique have been proven to introduce any number of unacceptable artifacts and are not the correct tool for the stated objective."