Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Current 4x5 enlarger options

Re: Current 4x5 enlarger options

Craigslist is good, to avoid shipping costs. I just sold a Zone VI 5x7 enlarger, and it's a fairly heavy enlarger. But even for that sized enlarger, I was surprised to see that shipping costs are going to be about $350! What really drove up the costs was the size of the packaging. I think that each of the three main packages is oversized, and that almost doubles cost of shipping.

Occasionally, I'll see a 4x5 enlarger for sale on Craigslist. For example, get the chassis on Craigslist list, and get the ligher things, like the head, timer, negative carriers, etc., on EBay.

i got a beseler 23c from a school for free. took like half an hour to modify it to cover 4x5.

Thanks everyone for all of the valuable input. Since I do have a darkroom (converted basement bathroom), I will keep watching for a true 4x5 enlarger. I also happen to have an extra (mostly functional) enlarger that I could convert/use the column to hold the Intrepid unit if that becomes viable. Can't wait until 30 days have passed so I can see the classifieds here on the forum (looking for a 4x5 camera & lenses as well).

Quote Originally Posted by maltfalc View Post
    i got a beseler 23c from a school for free. took like half an hour to modify it to cover 4x5.
    @maltfalc - any chance you care to share some of what is required to make a conversion? I have an extra Beseler Dichro 67 head on a double track column that sure does seem to have the reach I would want to enlarge a 4x5. I just don't know the process to adapt it. I have both a 6x7 and a 35mm mixing chamber for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed G View Post
    @maltfalc - any chance you care to share some of what is required to make a conversion? I have an extra Beseler Dichro 67 head on a double track column that sure does seem to have the reach I would want to enlarge a 4x5. I just don't know the process to adapt it. I have both a 6x7 and a 35mm mixing chamber for it.
    i removed the condenser lens and added a sheet of milky white plastic just above the negative stage inside the upper bellows to make it a diffusion head and since the negative stage has a 5" round hole i just needed to cut out some extra wedges to expose a 5x4 rectangle. from the photos i've seen the 67 may be too small.

Quote Originally Posted by maltfalc View Post
    i removed the condenser lens and added a sheet of milky white plastic just above the negative stage inside the upper bellows to make it a diffusion head and since the negative stage has a 5" round hole i just needed to cut out some extra wedges to expose a 5x4 rectangle. from the photos i've seen the 67 may be too small.
    OK thanks...I'll take a close look and measure what I have. I appreciate your input!

Plan on a day's drive somewhere. The nice thing about 4x5 enlargers is the small size. I picked up both of my 4x5's with a BMW 3 series and then my wife's Camry. Bring some tools. Omega and Beseler are SAE.

On either side of the pond, my pick for a 4x5 enlarger is one of the Saunders/Omega/LPL's. Still current, and you can easily find parts as needed, or purcha$e new. I bought my XLG, VCCE on CL, a day's drive but I was already going there. Got it very reasonably (under $500). I have a 4500-II VCCE and the XLG, my preference is for the 4500-II, the XLG is stored. The 4500-II was double the price of the XLG! Just make sure it's complete with power supply, carriers, etc. Power supplies are expensive! L
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 28-Apr-2021 at 07:58.

Looking on Craigslist as well as Facebook Marketplace can be very helpful. Searching for "enlarger" and also for "darkroom" is good as things are not always accurately described. Look for items within an hour or two drive from your house. There can be lots of them out there. In my own recent experience, I saw an Omega Pro-Lab D6 in what looked like very nice condition offered for $50, with lenses. Too bad I had no need for one more 4x5, and no place to store yet another one. On the same day, there were also two other D6's that did not look as good, but with prices of $350 and $800. So, things can be all over the map and there is no rhyme or reason for how people list and price things. Last year on Facebook Marketplace I came across a Super Chromega Dichroic II E 5x7 enlarger with extra carriers and lens cones for $100, about 35 minutes from my house. A younger couple were clearing out things they had acquired from an uncle's estate to make room for Mom to move in with them. Lots of older folks divesting themselves of equipment as well as kids clearing out things left behind by parents, uncles etc. Patience and regular checking can pay off.