Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Anyone miss the flame wars?

Anyone miss the flame wars?

I am a recent member & when I first joined I was quite pleased with the civil & great information that I was able to learn from.

I do not miss the flame wars per se but will suggest that discussions are either overly conservative or way out there (sounds like American politics) & it would be nice if people would realize that it's okay to disagree with a certain viewpoint & to offer a different perspective is acceptable. We do not have to be so attached to our opinions & feel that any differing opinions are an affront to our sensibilities & that we have to defend them to the bitter end. This usually results in personal attacks & goes downhill quickly.

The premise of a forum is to invite various thoughts and viewpoints to a variety of subjects & educate & enlighten.

So often - with regards to arguments - people tend to be determined to convince the other party to side with them or ...

All of this over an artistic endeavor.

When I have the need to be aggressive I play mens league hockey or do something physical.

When I have something useful to contribute I will try to do so.

I think there are a lot of wise & skilled photographers that would consider contributing but feel like what's the point - I don't need the attitude going on in the forums.

I don't blame them & hence we all miss out out some useful input at times.

you can always pop over to APUG and catch whatever the latest AZO thread is if you need a fix
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Tim,,

Is that a try at humour or are you trying to start a flame from behind a rock?

I also visit daily APUG and AZO is not mentioned anymore than any other genuine photographic tool.

I have to say that some of those pyromaniac discussions of old were stimulating enough to make me rethink some of my 25 year old way of doing things (ZS vs. BTZS, Godzilla vs, Rodan etc.). It takes a really big fire breathing lizard sometimes to make me think sometimes (latin names withheld). It strikes me that the TM400 discussion is not at at all a name calling flame war but a great example of the kind of healthy disagreement between knowledgeable contributers that really gets me thinking enough to try something new.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Steve - almost every time one of MAS's AZO or publishing schemes comes up you need to make sure you are wearing Nomex.

Last one ran to 205 posts and 10,987 views before it was locked down

Mind you Sean will have his Star Chamber up and running soon - so all should be quiet and peaceful across there
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

I appreciate the limited moderation here. It actually let some of the angry people burn themselves out.

Dave Karp

Darn it Kirk. How can you even consider Rodan. Its Gamera or nothing. And then only if souped in D-76 diluted 1:1.375 and semi-stand developed to a density of .00035 to the power of 10 as measured with Speed Racer's Dad's nuclear densitometerblaster.

Yeah Gamera was cool too. As a kid I always wanted one of those lizard suites.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Well, I guess attempts at worthwhile discussion may be pointless.

I don't participate in flame wars, and as the TMY discusson has begun to devolve into that...

---Michael