Thread: 43/44mm shutter hole?

43/44mm shutter hole?

I got a Goerz Dogmar 16.5cm lens in a dial set compur shutter. I didn't have a good ruler, just a little junky one, but when I measured it looked a little over 40mm, so I figured it was a #1 shutter and ordered a lensboard to mount it to. When the lens board arrived, the shutter doesn't quite fit and probably needs another couple of millimeters just to slide on. Thinking it might be a bad board, I checked and another #1 shuttered lens fits fine.

I haven't found any specs on a shutter size that is larger than a #1 by only a couple of milimeters. So two basic questions--what size is this? and is it a standard I can buy or am I going to have to spend an hour with a file slowly enlarging this hole?

Eric Woodbury

Re: 43/44mm shutter hole?

File to fit, paint to match.

thats what I was guessing...I'm not great with DIY, so this will be the worlds most lopsided lens board.

Quote Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
    I got a Goerz Dogmar 16.5cm lens in a dial set compur shutter. I didn't have a good ruler, just a little junky one, but when I measured it looked a little over 40mm, so I figured it was a #1 shutter and ordered a lensboard to mount it to. When the lens board arrived, the shutter doesn't quite fit and probably needs another couple of millimeters just to slide on. Thinking it might be a bad board, I checked and another #1 shuttered lens fits fine.

I haven't found any specs on a shutter size that is larger than a #1 by only a couple of milimeters. So two basic questions--what size is this? and is it a standard I can buy or am I going to have to spend an hour with a file slowly enlarging this hole?
    I have a hunch it's probably 44 mm. That's a common but not the only mounting thread size for the dial-set Compur, see here: https://skgrimes.com/products/mounting-flanges/

Filing this out will be tedious but maybe your simplest option. Don't know where you are. SK Grimes could bore it out for you.

David

That looks pretty much correct. I'm in the USA, but not near anything, so I suppose I could mail it in and have it drilled (assuming they provide that service) but I am hesitant because its a cheap lens that probably from what little I can tell, only barely covers 4x5, so its not like I want to spend a lot on this (I mostly wanted to try something a little less modern than all the other lenses I have.) I could enlarge it fast with a dremel, but then it would even more ugly, so I think a hand file is in order.

(as a side note, I don't know if this shutter was ever CLA'd but its pretty darn close to accurate, especially on the slow speeds which are right on, for a ~90-100 year old shutter. It seems to be really well built.)

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

The hole will be under the shutter and the ring... so the right size and “only reasonably pretty” is what’s needed.

Well, it fits now—sort of. I filed it out enough to slide it into shutter, but the mounting ring has that lip on it, and I haven’t filed it enough to seat that lip inside the lens board. It’s good enough for now for testing, if I like the lens enough to actually use it for real, I’ll file it some more.

Thanks for the info!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

You’ll get there... not much more to remove.