Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Monorail vs. Folding Camera Weight

Re: Monorail vs. Folding Camera Weight

For years, I used a simple Calumet 22-inch monorail. I could whip that thing out of its case and onto a tripod (with a quick release plate) and be ready to shoot. Less fiddly to use than my wooden folder and not that much heavier. But the bulky monorail wound up taking a back seat to my Wista, which fits into a small backpack.

Yeah, this is what came to my mind as well. I haven't tried it out yet, but it's one of the more appealing options at present; to me anyway.

Drew Wiley

By using the top compartment of my external frame pack, I can just pull out my Sinar monorail fully equipped and ready to go, even with any lens on it if I wish, even with an 18 inch rail and compendium shade in place, then just plop on the tripod platform, secure it there, extend the bellows, remove the lens cap, and begin composition and focus. It's way faster than any folding flatbed camera, though I have good reasons for owning a couple of those too.