Thread: LPL 4500 VCCE module repair manual needed

LPL 4500 VCCE module repair manual needed

After only 20 years my LPL 4500 XL with the VCCE filters has a problem. The contrast knob turns, but the filters don't move. I took the head apart into components (light source and VCCE unit) but I'd sure like to have more information before I open the VCCE itself.

Is there such a manual?
    Thanks.

Andrej Gregov

Re: LPL 4500 VCCE module repair manual needed

As far as I know, there is no manual for the VCCE module. There is one for the enlarger itself. But it only lists the VCCE head as an accessory.

The filters are just the regular CMY set, but geared/ cammed together such that they deliver a constant density - the main thing to be aware of is the exact gear relationships if you need to dismantle it fully. My suspicion is that the filter setting lever has probably come loose in some way. The components inside LPL's aren't complex, but the way the heads are assembled can sometimes mean fairly major disassembly to fix a small problem.

The setting control may have come loose, or the mechanism itself may just need a clean-and-lube.

The filters in/out function in the color module of my LPL 4500II gummed up after more than 20 years of intermittent use. The filter action in response to flipping the lever first became sluggish and then eventually the filters didn't budge at all even though the lever moved freely. At that point I pulled the color module and sent it out for a CLA. This was back in 2014 - it's been fine since.

Afraid I've never seen a repair or parts manual. Perhaps KHB Photografix would know whether one is available.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    The setting control may have come loose, or the mechanism itself may just need a clean-and-lube.

Afraid I've never seen a repair or parts manual. Perhaps KHB Photografix would know whether one is available.
    Thanks to all for the quick responses. I'm encouraged to open 'ere up and see what's there :-)

Opening the VCCE module was simpler than expected--no problem and only 6 screws. The cams and levers reminded me of a Juke Box that plays 78 rpm records (of course you are much to young to remember them).

Grease had congealed, causing some sticking. Wiped clean applied grease to the cams and a tiny bit of oil to the sliding parts. Work fine. I was careful not go get anything on the filters :-)

I remember 78 rpm records, but it is mainly old records from between WW1 and WW2.