Thread: About infinity stops for linhof IV

About infinity stops for linhof IV

Dear all

I brought one of silly question here

which is about Infinity stops for linhof IV :-)

I just wonder that do 3 pair of infinity stops

come toghter when Linhof IV was new?

I mean If I buy new linhof IV,

do 3 pair of infinity stops

which on focus rail come togher?

also focus scale as well.

I know Linhof technika IV has been discontiued

about 40 years ago,,,

but I hope there is some one who has bought linhf IV as new ;-)

Actully, I recently bought linhof technika IV

whcih is described as nice & clean on the listing from Ebay.

but I found there are missing 2 pair of infinity stops,

also focus scale.

I asked about it to seller,

and he told to me infinity stops do'nt come with camera.

Even there is sign of other 2 pair of infinity stop

which seems they were there.

well,, so I just curiosity does seller tell me true or not.

thanks

david

Hi David.

I would imagine that when one buys a Technika new that at least one infinity stop would come with the camera.
    It would probably come with more if you ordered more than one lens at the same time and have it camed.

I actually have some extra one laying around I have been thinking about putting out on Ebay. I also have some lensboards as well.
    It is also my understanding that the focusing scales are made for the particular lens you will be using.
    You might want to see if it is possible to get them through your local dealer. Do you have originally camed lenses?
    Then it would be useful with the focusing scales. But I think they might be pointless with focus scales unless you know how to adjust the infinity to match with the viewfinder.
    Teddan

First you can not buy a NEW Technika IV 45. The camera has not been manufactured since May of 1963.

When you buy a new Master Technika or had you purchased new the discontinued V or IV the body comes with NO infinity stops.

The Infinity Stops and the Focusing Scale are part of the camming packaage. When you have a lens cam ground the cam is shipped with the required scale and stops.

If you buy a Master technika, V or a IV new with Linhof factory inspected lenses and the factory camming package then the caamera would have the Focusing Scales and the Infinity stops for the lenses that were cammed mounted on the camera. If you had the factory do one lens then you would have one set of stops and a scale. If you bought 3 Linhof inspected lenses then you would haave 3 set of stops and scales. If you had 4 lenses installed then you would have 4 sets of stops (or, if 2 lenses have flange focous lengths that are the same 3 sets of stops) and 2 focus scale holders. One with 3 scales and one with one scale. Each focus scale stage holds up to 3 focus scales.

So if you buy a body only new no scales or stops are supplied. If you buy a camera new + factory inspected lenses then the body would have a set of stops and scales installed for each inspected lens bought at the same time as the camera.

If the camera is already in stock at the dealer and you order a new, factory cammed lens, then the scales and stops will be packaged with the lens and you would have to install them your self.

It is extremely unlikely that you bought a IV from the original owner. Otherwise he would have known that each set of stops is paired to a lens.

When the stops are installed the small screw that holds it in place makes a small impression ion the focusing tracks so that the stops are less likely to accidently move during use. When a camera body is bought new that factory and the distributor and the dealer have no way of knowing which specific lens/lenses will be used on the camera.

Since changing stop positions will leave small dents on the focus rail the camera is never supplied with stops until the lenses are cam coupled. If you see small dents on the focus rails those represent stops that have either been moved or removed from your camera.

So your seller did tell the truth. Infinity stops do not come packaged with a new camera body.

Technika infinity stops show up fairly often on ebay. They are relatively inexpensive (usually selling for about $15-$20 which by Linhof standards is like being free). I'm sure you know that you only need infinity stops if you're using the rangefinder on your camera, if you're using the ground glass they aren't necessary.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.