Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Focal Lengths with movements for Tachihara 4x5

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: Focal Lengths with movements for Tachihara 4x5

Quote Originally Posted by diversey View Post
    I have a Tachihara 4x5 camera too. The camera bellows is not removable...
    Too bad, I'd have thought the bag bellows would be an option on any modern 4x5. Still, a recessed lensboard will help.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Fred Picker of Zone VI fame used to recommend a 210mm lens and a lens in the 120mm range. I think the 121mm Super Angulon was his favorite.
    Being a fan of Zone VI at that time (early 1980's) and just starting out, I followed his advice and my first lens was a 210mm f/5.6 Nikkor-W. That was a great lens. I think my second lens was a 90mm, f/8, Super Angulon. Not because I wanted wider, but because it was available used at the local camera store for (I think) $200.
    Well, in all honesty, it really was a bit wide for my taste. Later I went to 120mm and personally found it more usable.
    But YMMV.
    It always does.

My camera then (and my first view camera) was a Wista 45DX. This was Wistas contribution to the market and paralleled closely the Tachihara, which at that time was enjoying great popularity. The bellows was not removable or interchangeable. It was just a simple straight-forward camera. And the lenses from 90mm to 210mm and maybe up to 240mm worked just fine.
    The nice thing about the 120 and the 210 is that it compares favorably to a 35mm and a 60mm on 135. That is, slightly wide and slightly long, encompassing a wide variety of subjects. For me, the 210mm was perfect. And I'm so glad I started with that. If I were to ever go back to 4x5, I'd do the same thing again.
    Really, just pick something and get started. It won't be the last lens you buy. And you'll find your own way!

I've used a Tachihara 45GF for more than thirty years and the lens set for it has come down to 90mm, 135mm, and 210mm. In the landscape and portrait work that I do I've never run out of camera movements or wished for a bag bellows. Lens focal length is remarkably uncritical provided the subject matter fits on the ground glass. Modern lenses are so good and modern 4x5 negative film is so generous it is possible, for example, to crop a 400mm view out of a 210mm lens image and do it with high picture quality.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Not knowing what you want to photograph makes it tough.

If I had to pick just one lens, I'd get a multicoated 135.

For that camera, which I used for years, I got along very well with a 120/150/210 set. I had a 90mm, which is what many people would have suggested for the wide angle, but I rarely used it.

@OP,

You can see how different we all are in approach and preferences when it comes to lenses.

I use primarily Wista DXs with just the standard bellows. I use lenses from 75mm to 300mm on it. I have enough movements with recessed boards to vignette the 75mm and 90mm lenses I use, but it takes a bit of bellows crimping to get there. The 300mm is on a top-hat lensboard.

I would imagine that the Tachihara would perform similarly and would make a good all-round field camera with a suitable assortment of lenses.

FWIW, my most used lenses are the 135mm and 90mm lenses, followed closely lenses in the 180mm-240mm range.

Best,

Doremus

I, too, use a Wista DX. I use a small 210mm f6.8 from Caltar and a 90mm Nikkor 90mm f8. Those two lenses have served me well for many decades.

Thank you everyone for your valuable input!

I have done a ton of reading over the last few days when I had time (just finished working 60 hours with little down time.) Sometimes it is difficult as different sources will contradict each other - but this forum has been a big blessing on moving in the right direct - thank you guys/gals again.

For LF 4x5, I am interested in landscapes, some architectural work, and occasional portraits.

My father in law is an architect and I would love to be able to gift him a nice print or two of some nice architectural work as he appreciates that.

I am also the photographer for my fire department (when time allows) and would love to do some pictures of the stations (architectural) and apparatus for my son's nursery.

Quote Originally Posted by mshannon View Post
    ... For LF 4x5, I am interested in landscapes, some architectural work, and occasional portraits.

My father in law is an architect and I would love to be able to gift him a nice print or two of some nice architectural work as he appreciates that.

I am also the photographer for my fire department (when time allows) and would love to do some pictures of the stations (architectural) and apparatus for my son's nursery.
    If you are interested in doing architectural work with a field camera and need to keep your lenses lightweight, allow me to recommend the Nikkor SW 90mm f/8. It has the largest image circle for lenses of its size. There are many 90mm lenses with larger maximum apertures (f/5.6 or f/4.5) that have large image circles as well, but they are larger, and don't fit on recessed boards well (which you'll likely need for your Tachi) and are a bit heavy for use on lightweight wooden cameras.

There are other 90mm f/8 lenses, like the Super Angulons and the Fujinon SW as well as the Rodenstock Grandagon f/6.8 that are about the same size as the Nikkor. All these are great lenses, but they don't have as large an image circle as the Nikkor. I find the larger image circle really helpful when doing architectural work.

Best,

Doremus