Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
Doug, thanks for mentioning this. It's an interesting chat, and Randy's book is excellent.

However, the group knew Brett in his later years, when he was better off financially. And, of course, better known for his work. I am reminded of Merle Armitage writing of the time that he published Edward Weston's first book in 1932; "When I met Edward, he was a little local Southern California photographer. I had to struggle like hell to get the book out. Where he would have been without this is your guess, as only a very few discerning people in California had even heard of him." Twenty-five years later, Merle published Brett's first book, shortly before Edward died.

I watched Brett struggle through the 50's and 60's. He had no money for the luxuries of life that came later. He was poor, even taking work as a laborer and plumber. When I was seventeen, I worked alongside him building the house that my father had designed for him in the Carmel Highlands. Brett would rather have been photographing, but he knew that he could not exist on his work alone; that would come. When he met me in New York City, early in 1960, he had taken the train from California; it was all he could afford. I got him a room at the YMCA. The purpose of his visit was arranged by David McAlpin, his and Edward's patron for many years; an opportunity for Brett to sell some prints at a gathering in Princeton. I was there that evening; he sold some prints, took the train back to California, and departed on his first European trip a few months later.

It 1972, I suggested to Brett that he consider applying for a NEA grant to photograph in Alaska. I had sent for the forms, but did not apply as our daughter was recently born. Brett did apply, and was selected. He was very excited, and invited me along. I could not accept, but was happy for Brett.

Sorry for getting so far off topic, but a reminder that many of those we hold in high regard had their struggles. In the case of Brett, he was driven by an unusual passion and dedication. We are rewarded by the marvelous results.
Dedicating one's life to the pursuit of art seems to always include sacrifice and suffering. I very much admire those willing to follow that path.