Thread: Epson V850 Pro Scanner and 5x7 film & other

Re: Epson V850 Pro Scanner and 5x7 film & other

What are the problems with wet scan?

Does is clean up easily?

Does it attract dust?

Can it drip inside the scanner?

Can it damage a scanner?

Can it damage a negative in any way?

How long does a neg need to wait until return to storage package?

I see it works in the high rez center area and 5X7 film are largest possible

Does anybody wet mount and scan DRY of WET PLATES?

I will buy one Monday

Regardless

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    I scanned 5 x 7 wet mounted on an Epson 750 "mounting station"- I found it took less than 30 seconds to wet mount a negative and results were quite good. I upgraded to a Creo/Kodak IQsmart 2 and dry scan on the scanner glass. Better results but not cheap and not small. And not fast either.
    Tin Can

Does is clean up easily?

If done right, yes, clean up is fast and easy.

Does it attract dust?

Not in my experience.

If wet mounting is on the base scanner glass, yes. If done on a the glass of a fluid mounting adaptor, not very likely.

Can it damage a scanner?
    Not in normal use, but keep fluid from getting inside the scanner.

Very unlikely when using a flatbed scanner. Greater risk with drum scanner due to high speed rotation of the drum. Most people just wipe the mineral oil off the negative when done. This seems to work OK. Others wash the film to remove the oil, then run through photo flo before drying. Typically no damage is done to the negative, but anytime you wet the film again there is an an increased risk of damage, and the slight residue of the mineral oil probably should be removed.
    Risk to negative with drum scanner much greater because of high speed of drum rotation. If the film is not secured well with tape it may break loose and be damaged. I had a sheet of 12X20" film torn up one time like that, made me a lot more cautious with future scans.

If you just wipe the scanner fluid off, only a few minutes. If you re-wash the film to remove scanner fluid residue, film will need to dry again.

I think whole plate negatives can be scanner in the center area.

Not me.

I will buy one Monday

Regardless[/QUOTE]
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Thank you, Sandy
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Does is clean up easily?

If done right, yes, clean up is fast and easy.

Does it attract dust?

Not in my experience.

If wet mounting is on the base scanner glass, yes. If done on a the glass of a fluid mounting adaptor, not very likely.

Can it damage a scanner?
    Not in normal use, but keep fluid from getting inside the scanner.

Very unlikely when using a flatbed scanner. Greater risk with drum scanner due to high speed rotation of the drum. Most people just wipe the mineral oil off the negative when done. This seems to work OK. Others wash the film to remove the oil, then run through photo flo before drying. Typically no damage is done to the negative, but anytime you wet the film again there is an an increased risk of damage, and the slight residue of the mineral oil probably should be removed.
    Risk to negative with drum scanner much greater because of high speed of drum rotation. If the film is not secured well with tape it may break loose and be damaged. I had a sheet of 12X20" film torn up one time like that, made me a lot more cautious with future scans.

If you just wipe the scanner fluid off, only a few minutes. If you re-wash the film to remove scanner fluid residue, film will need to dry again.

I think whole plate negatives can be scanner in the center area.

Not me.

I will buy one Monday

Regardless
    [/QUOTE]

The main question I have, does it make a difference over dry scans on a V850?

In my limited (a few hundred scans) experience ...

Basically exactly what Sandy said. I used the Aztek mounting fluid and itxs dry by the time the scan is finished just removr from scanner and back in storage. No dust problem because the mounted film is covered by a thin plastic sheet. Epson high res area is just about whole plate

2010 before my time here

Mylar for wet mounting

I am waiting for supplies
    Tin Can

The main question I have, does it make a difference over dry scans on a V850?[/QUOTE]

Alan,

The answer depends greatly on your personal work flow so only you can really answer the question.

But from an absolute point of view, for sure fluid mounting is capable of giving a better scan. Whether or not it matters depends on the size of your original and the size at which you intend to print. Below is an article that goes into this in some detail. The fluid scan may not be "sharper" in terms of resolution, but if done correctly it should have greater micro-contrast and negative defects such as scratches will be minimized. These advantages will be especially noticeable the larger you print and should be apparent at about 5X.

https://www.timlaytonfineart.com/blo...n-v750-scanner

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 24-Apr-2021 at 17:37.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    The main question I have, does it make a difference over dry scans on a V850?
    Alan,

The answer depends greatly on your personal work flow so only you can really answer the question.

But from an absolute point of view, for sure fluid mounting is capable of giving a better scan. Whether or not it matters depends on the size of your original and the size at which you intend to print. Below is an article that goes into this in some detail. The fluid scan may not be "sharper" in terms of resolution, but if done correctly it should have greater micro-contrast and negative defects such as scratches will be minimized. These advantages will be especially noticeable the larger you print and should be apparent at about 5X.

https://www.timlaytonfineart.com/blo...n-v750-scanner

Sandy[/QUOTE]

Nice article thanks. I'll probably continue to scan with my V850 dry since I really don't print much anymore. I would pay for a drum scan if I made a really big print anyway. So for posting on the web and for showing video slide shows on my 75" TV, (4K), the normal dry scan is pretty good. I plan to be making a coffee tabletop photo book. So I don; think its small size would require anything more than my current scan procedure. There's a video on Youtube by one of those photobloggers, that does a comparison as well. I'll look for it and if I find it I'll post the link.

Here's the link for the comparison of scan techniques.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfGKd_AEZtY

The official Epson Wet Mount Kit arrived today

B&H was the cheapest delivered price

Looks good to me, even the instructions are simple

They wasted some words warning to align the neg, PS fixes that

I ordered disposables

Thank you Sandy
    Tin Can